Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Good-Bye, Little Buddy

With much sadness, we found Oliver today. A Terminix man was doing his rounds in the neighborhood and came up to the door this afternoon and asked if we were the family looking for a dog. He had seen our sign and he told me that he had seen a dog floating in the duck pond around the corner and wanted to let us know because it might be our dog. It was really nice of him to go out of his way like that.

I called Drew and told him, and he asked if I wanted to come early to pick him up from work since he had sold his car today and the title transfer from the car he is buying hasn’t been finished yet. On the way there, I drove by the pond and stopped, and the size and color were right, but the dog was way out in the middle of the pond, so I couldn’t be sure. Drew borrowed a friend’s kayak and went out to get the body, and I tried not to let the kids know what was up when they came home from the bus stop.

It was Oliver. Drew said it looks like he was hit by a car because his neck was broken. That means either someone hit him and dumped him in the pond or the birds dragged him there. Either way, we’re pretty sure it probably happened on Thursday. At least we know he didn’t suffer – it really bothered me when I thought he might have fallen into the pond alive and struggled. I am thankful that God, in His great mercy, chose to answer my petition that we would at least know what happened to our little buddy.

Telling the boys was very hard. Drew buried Oliver first, because he said it was pretty awful to look at his remains, then we told them to come in the back yard with us. He showed them Oliver’s collar and we told them that a nice man had told us where he had seen Oliver this afternoon. They are very sad, but are already talking about when can we get another dog. I’m not ready for that yet. Maybe after we move.

I'm trying very hard not to be angry with my neighbor who told me, "Oh, I seen that dog on Thursday. He came up on my porch and came up to me when I was getting in my car. I didn't know he was your dog." (Unnecessary aside, I hate when people say, "I seen...", but that's beside the point.) But she didn't bother to look at his tags when he came right up to her. And they have two dogs of their own, so it's not like they aren't dog people, but she didn't bother. I wish she had just not told me....

So, I’m crying as I type this, but it is good that we know and can say good-bye and move without that awful wondering. Poor Oliver.

Oliver

July 1996-October 2008

5 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so sorry for you guys. Oliver had been part of your family a long time.

Carla Rolfe said...

So sorry to hear this sad news.

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry to hear the sad news. I know you will miss him.

jen said...

My sympathies and prayers for all of you. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Honey...this just has me in tears. I'm so sorry.

Maybe a fresh blog design to go along with your move would cheer you up :) What'dya say?