Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Random Wednesday Thoughts

The weather outside is.....cold. The automatic door on my van did not work this morning because the rain yesterday turned to ice on my van during the night and froze the door shut. Nothing a little extra pulling couldn't handle, but, baby, we're not in South Carolina anymore. Twenty-two degrees and snowing and I STILL have to tell my 11-year-old to wear a real coat. Otherwise he would have left the house this morning wearing his flimsy sweater/hoodie thing that he's been wearing every day since it got colder. It's been driving me nuts that he refuses to wear a heavier coat. I put my foot down this morning, though. He actually did not argue much. It is just plain cold out there. Do you think we could find the gloves I carefully collected when the weather warmed up at the end of last winter season when we needed them this morning, though? One pair is missing altogether, and the other was lost by my 8-year-old within minutes of getting them out this morning. Go figure. Same kid who paid his brother $16.00 to clean his room and then allowed it to get right back into a very sad state within a day and a half. The really mysterious thing is, though, that I cannot find those gloves anywhere. I'm wondering if he really had them this morning at all or if he's remembering some other time when they were in his possession. Very likely. Boo has her gloves, though, so we're averaging one out of three being organized, but that's only because I have more control over the youngest one, I think.

While cleaning the bathroom this morning, there was a loud knock on the door. I turned off my iPod to see if I truly heard a knock and Roscoe the hyper dog was growling at the door. I opened the door and there was a package the mailman had left in the box. Christmas season has begun at the Sweet Tea house. Anyway, Roscoe slipped past me and joyfully raced toward the friendly mailman. I ran out in my sweatpants and shortsleeved shirt (thankfully I had shoes on) to catch him and Boo tried to follow me with her bare feet. It's COLD out today, remember? The mailman kindly stopped and let me chase my dippy dog, who would run right to me and then feint left or right. Both the mailman and I were telling Boo to go back inside. Thankfully Roscoe the hyper dog decided that while it's cold enough to feel really spunky, it was better to be in the warm house so he followed Boo back in the front door. If he had not made that very wise choice right then, I would have had to leave him out and take Boo inside and put on her shoes and coat and my coat on before attempting to catch him. I am very glad he chose the warm house.

By the way, cleaning success today! My bathrooms smell clean!! I finally found a way to erradicate the smell left by boys who cannot aim, seem to not know the function of the flush handle and a 3-year-old girl who is STILL potty training and manages to get potty everywhere in the main bathroom. Bleach is too hard to work with when cleaning the messes because it affects my breathing and ruins my clothes. So, after watching a Mythbusters episode about removing skunk odor, I figured that what worked for them would surely work on my potty smells. I have this really sensitive sense of smell, and it seems that I can never get rid of the smell completely. Well, I took the Mythbusters remedy and tweaked it a little and it seems to have worked. I combined a cup of hydrogen peroxide, a cup of vinegar, a squeeze of liquid dish soap, and a sprinkle of baking soda. Caution: if you try this at home, use a really big bucket. Otherwise you'll have a foaming explosion. The vinegar and baking soda have a fun, sudsy reaction - I was amazed how high it foamed in my bucket. Anyway, then I proceeded to scrub all the toilets, every inch of them, and the floor around them. The result, quite fresh-smelling bathrooms. At least for the moment. The boys are still at school....

Studied AWANA with Boo this afternoon and she learned to say, "Trust in the LORD." She's ready for her class tonight. She wanted to go yesterday, but I told her she had to wait until Wednesday.

It's flurrying again outside. I'm thankful for a heated house. I think we need to look into weather-proofing the windows, though. It was super windy over night (there are trees and branches down along the road), and when I came downstairs this morning, I heard a loud gust of wind. I looked over at the glass door, and the blinds were moving slightly. That was some wind.

One more funny thing then I'm done for now. The UPS man just knocked at the door with a package for us. Boo asked what it is, and I told her it's a present for her and I need to wrap it and put it under the tree. She looked at this plain brown box (she can't read the writing on the side, but I can) and hugged it and said, "I love it! A present for me!" Now she's walking around singing, "Happy birthday, to me...." Three is such a fun age.

Which reminds me of one more thing. Last Wednesday when we were driving home from church the rain that had been falling all day had turned into the first snow of the year - not much, but substantial flurries. I told Boo to look at the snow, and she was really excited. When we parked the car and were walking across the parking lot to the house, she all of a sudden lay down on the wet pavement and started moving her arms and legs. I looked at her for a minute and wondered what in the world was wrong with her when I realized she was trying to make snow angels. I started laughing so hard I almost couldn't tell her to get up because you can't make snow angels on wet pavement when all we've had are flurries. It was so funny. Poor baby. She's really looking forward to the snow.

Okay, that's all the randomness for now. Happy Wednesday.

No comments: