Tuesday, December 31, 2019

What I Was Reading in 2019

Here on the last day of the year is my list of books read in 2019. Some were good, some not so much, but here it is. I'm in the middle of two more books, but seeing as there are only a few more hours left in 2019, I probably won't finish them, so they'll have to start the new 2020 list. If I happen to finish either before the day is out, I'll add it at the bottom.

January 2019

  • Lila - Marilynne Robinson (F). Probably my least favorite of the three books in the Gilead trilogy, but I still liked it. 
  • Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng (F). I have come to enjoy this author, especially now that I know she grew up in Shaker Heights, OH, where we lived for a year.  I probably don't agree with her a whole lot politically, and that's ok, as I can see since I've followed her on Twitter, but she is, nonetheless, a great writer. If I only ever read authors I completely agreed with, my reading would be dull and my thinking shallow, and I have enjoyed both of her books and hope to see more from her in the future.
  • Jesus Wins: The Good News of the End Times - Dayton Hartman (NF). This was an encouraging little book. Tim Challies wrote a review and that's what sparked my interest. 
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving (F). This is a favorite and a re-read.
February 2019
  • Girls of Glass - Brianna Labuskes (F).
  • The Western Star ( A Longmire Mystery) - Craig Johnson (F).
  • Gay Girl, Good God - Jackie Hill Perry (NF). Wow, this was good. God is so good, and what a testimony to His immense grace and love and goodness.  I found a rich deepening in my desire to fully believe in the power of God to save through His gospel, and save to the uttermost, even when things may seem impossible from my limited perspective, as I pray for others and for my own heart as I read this. 
March 2019
  • Depth of Winter (A Longmire Mystery) - Craig Johnson (F).
  • Danger in the Shadows (O'Malley Book 0) - Dee Henderson (F).  I'm not a huge fan of Christian fiction, as I've said, but this was ok.  I saw this listed by some friends as having liked the series and thought I'd try it.  I liked it ok, but I don't think I'll continue the series.  I have my qualms, still, but won't go into depth with my criticisms here, except that I was discouraged when I looked up the author's webpage to try to find out a little about her and she links to books  (nonfiction) by authors that I find very troubling (Bill Johnson, for one). I had been bothered by how shallow the discussions about 'God' and prayer were, though better than some Christian fiction I've read (Jesus is never mentioned, gospel belief is assumed, but sort of shallow in portrayal in my opinion, etc.), considering how much opportunity there was imbedded in the story itself to go much more in depth with that. And I guess I'm just not a huge fan of romance novels in general. Sorry, I don't mean to be critical.  I don't expect novels to be heavy on theology, but it just felt shallow to me, when, given the subject matter, it could have been richer. On her webpage she talks about more recent books having a deeper discussion of theological things, but after seeing who she links to as recommendations, I think I'm wary. 
  • 12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You - Tony Reinke (NF). Because of something I'm working on, I read this again. I was reminded why I recommended it so strongly the first time.  I think maybe it's one I would benefit to revisit every year, to be honest. 
April 2019
  • Dune - Frank Herbert (F). A classic. I read it because my boys were reading it and, though I'm pretty sure I read it a long time ago, I couldn't remember much of it. I don't need to read the rest of the series.  It was ok, but, I'd rather move on and read something else. You can definitely see how much of Star Wars is taken from it, though. 
  • Respectable Sins - Jerry Bridges (NF). Our women's Bible study this year from September through April at church was based on this book, with a study guide written by our pastor's wife and the curriculum committee form our church. As we were working through the study, I began to realize a lot of the book sounded very familiar, and I checked my Kindle, and, sure enough, I had read it a few years ago. I got much more from it this time around, though, taking all these months to slowly work through it and through the homework, because I had to take the time to think and digest.  My biggest take away is how much I now recognize throughout the day as a sinful attitude or thought that I didn't before, and how very many of them I am still so prone to. But God's mercy is so great, and I am thankful! And the chapter on Ungodliness has stuck with me, because that just seems to be the pervasive sin underneath all the others.  Now that we've done this in depth study, I want to keep the book out and re-read it periodically.  I do not want to forget. 
  • I Was Anastasia - Ariel Lawhon (F).  I liked this one.
  • The Screwtape Letters - C. S. Lewis (F).
May 2019
  • Absolute Power - David Baldacci (F).
  • The Clockmaker's Daughter - Kate Morton (F). Kate Morton has become one of my favorite authors, and I've enjoyed everything I've read from her.  This book is no exception.  I loved it, and I loved the characters. Beautifully written, and sad, but in a satisfying sort of way. 
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus - Nabeel Qureshi (NF). This is the best book I've read yet this year.  Such a powerful testimony. 
  • Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (F).  Did not finish and cannot recommend.  The language and other stuff were awful, I did not like the characters (probably not supposed to), figured out the big mid-book plot twist before it was revealed, and just don't want to spend more time and mental energy filling my brain with the atrocious language and stuff. I did something I almost never do and found a plot summary to see if I even would have liked the ending. Doesn't look like it, so good call on not finishing. Just not my cup of tea.
  • Pray Big: Learn to Pray Like an Apostle - Alistair Begg (NF).  This was very good, one I will read more than once to keep it fresh in my mind. 
June 2019
  • Hinds Feet on High Places - Hannah Gurnard (F).
  • The Apostles' Creed: Discovering Authentic Christianity in an Age of Counterfeits - R. Albert Mohler, Jr. (NF).
  • The Last Kingdom (The Last Kingdom Series, #1) - Bernard Cornwell (F).  I really liked this one. Looking forward to reading the rest of this series.  
  • Total Control - David Baldacci (F).
  • The Pale Horseman (The Last Kingdom Series, #2) - Bernard Cornwell (F). 
July 2109
  • Secret Undertaking - Mark de Castrique (F).
  • Lords of the North (The Last Kingdom Series, #3) - Bernard Cornwell (F). Due to our move to Virginia, July was a slower than usual reading month, but I liked both of these books.
August 2019
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling (F).  Wanted to read these again, and while waiting for a library book I have on hold, I thought I'd start the series again. 
  • Spiritual Depression - D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (NF). I kept starting this and then putting it down for several weeks until I finally decided I needed to read it and quit waiting until I felt like reading it.  I'm so glad I did.  I very much needed this at this season of my life.  I'm keeping it on my Kindle for rereading as needed when that darkness looms again. It's a great discussion of right thinking about Christian living. I highly recommend it. 
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J. K. Rowling (F).
  • Sword Song (The Last Kingdom Series, #4) - Bernard Cornwell (F).
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling (F).
September 2019
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace - Michael Horton (NF).  I very much liked this one. I could relate to so much of what he described growing up evangelical and struggling with assurance of salvation.  Having a biblical view of grace and salvation has been such a blessing. 
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J. K. Rowling (F).
  • The Hand of God: Finding His Care in All Circumstances - Alistair Begg (NF).
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling (F).
  • The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (F).  This was very good, well-written and moving. 
October 2019
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  - J. K. Rowling (F).
  • Unlikely Converts: Improbable Stories of Faith and What They Teach Us About Evangelism - Randy Newman (NF).  This may be one of my favorite books I've read this year.  It is encouraging me to pray more passionately and I want to change - to be more open to opening my my heart and my mouth and really engaging with people. 
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling (F).
  • Beyond Authority and Submission: Women and Men in Marriage, Church, and Society - Rachel Green Miller (NF).
  • An Equal Justice - Chad Zunker (F).
November 2019
  • The Winner - David Baldacci (F).
  • The Burning Land (The Last Kingdom Series, #5) - Bernard Cornwell (F).
  • Empire Falls - Richard Russo (F).
  • What Angels Wish They Knew: The Basics of True Christianity - Alistair Begg (NF).

December 2019
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation For Failure - Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt (NF).
  • The Simple Truth - David Baldacci (F).
  • Triumph of the Lamb: A Commentary on Revelation - Dennis E. Johnson (NF). This was very good.
  • Saving Faith - David Baldacci (F).

No comments: