Monday, November 19, 2007

Oh, Give Thanks to the LORD

Psalm 118:19-29
“Open to me the gates of righteousness;
I will go through them,
And I will praise the LORD.
This is the gate of the LORD,
Through which the righteous shall enter.
I will praise You,
For You have answered me,
And have become my salvation.

The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the LORD’s doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day the LORD has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.

Save now, I pray, O LORD;
O LORD, I pray, send now prosperity.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!
We have blessed you from the house of the LORD.
God is the LORD,
And He has given us light;
Bind the sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar.
You are my God, and I will praise You;
You are my God, I will exalt You.

Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.”

Of the many blessings for which I am thankful, and there are so very many, I am far and away most thankful for God’s matchless grace and mercy bestowed upon me. Psalm 118 is one of the Psalms that is read at Passover. When you think of the words, “This is the day the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it,” and remember that only hours after the Passover meal with His disciples in the upper room Jesus hung on the cross and atoned for our sin, don’t those words take on incredible meaning as you think about it? I am amazed that Jesus would endure the cross and all that went with it to atone for my sin, thereby opening to me the gates of righteousness. Though this is not the time of year for Passover, it is very appropriate to remember, as we set aside a day for giving thanks, that all thanks and all praise are to the Lamb who is worthy of blessing and honor and glory and power and praise. Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.

I’ll be taking a blogging hiatus for the rest of the week. Have a wonderfully thankful week!

No comments: