Monday, July 20, 2009

Wings and Letting Go

Took my oldest boy to the church this morning and saw him off to his first spend-the-night camp. He’s going to have a great time. I’m praying he makes great memories and even more that he’s encouraged in his walk with and love for Jesus. He was so nervous, but I know it will be a good week for him. We both were a little teary as that van pulled away – he to go on to camp, me to go back home. But I know he’ll be so busy this week he won’t have time for homesickness. And that’s how it should be.

Every time he stretches his wings a little I have such a bittersweet pang in my heart. I want him to go to camp and have all those great experiences, just like the ones that helped shape me as a kid. But part of me sees the little boy in the big kid he’s becoming. And that part of me feels bittersweet. Time just keeps marching on. He’s growing and experiencing life and more and more what he’s experiencing will be on his own. Less and less am I going to be as active a part in everything he does. And that’s as it should be. But he takes a part of my heart and some of my fears with him with each step toward maturity all the same.

I really pray that I’ll parent in such a way that he’ll still want to share his life with me and his dad once he’s grown. Are we doing all we can to foster that kind of closeness? More importantly, are we doing all we can to help him to see Jesus? Are we living in such a way that Jesus is exalted in our home? My heart's desire is to see my children's faith move beyond just what mom and dad believe to being their own. For this I pray most.

Just a few thoughts as my oldest boy goes off to Centri-Kid today. I’m sure more will follow.

2 comments:

Laura said...

You express my own fears - let's call them concerns - so well! I hope and pray that we will parent our children in a way that will lead them to love, honor and ENJOY their Savior and their parents all the days of their lives. Only by His grace!!!

Rebekah said...

Only by His grace is right. I need to remember this daily. Thanks for the reminder.