Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Status Update March 2011

Thanks again to Lisa for the status update blog post rescue format.


Sitting....on the back porch. Well, by the time I am typing this I won’t be on the porch anymore because I don’t have a lap top. I know...how very late 1980’s early 1990’s of me. Anywho, it’s such a pretty day I just needed to be out and enjoy the sunshine while we have it, so I brought my notebook (the spiral-bound paper kind) and pen out and here I sit (sat). Thermometer in the car only read 55 degrees, but with only a slight breeze and nice, sunny spot on the porch, I am just peachy keen.


Drinking...a jumbo cup of sweet tea from Chick-fil-A. That’s real sweet tea, not Sweet-N-Low this time. Splurged and went through the drive through with my girl for lunch. I’m a Chick-fil-A girl. I’m a sweet tea girl, too, but you already knew that.


Hearing...the booms as the tanks do their training thing over on post. One of the more disconcerting surreal interesting things about living this close to Ft. Knox. No, I haven’t seen the gold.They don’t let normal people anywhere near that building.


Listening..to Boo playing down on the lower porch and yard. Nice to hear outside play again. Spring is on the move...hoping the warming trend holds. Also listening to Roscoe-the-hyper-dog whine because he can’t come outside with us. He’ll be really glad when Drew finishes the fence he’s building out back.


Wishing...my middle boy felt better. Stomach bug. Cleaning freak, germophobic, sympathy-stomach-lurching mother. Poor kid. He’s feeling pretty puny today. Been pushing ginger ale, jello and crackers on him all day. Ginger ale and jello tolerated okay, crackers not so much. Poor guy.


Thankful...for my darling husband. It’s never good when you hear frantic footsteps at 4:30 in the morning, slamming bathroom door and then shortly a puny, “Mom......” My stomach immediately lurched and I poked Drew and said, “I don’t think I can...” He could and did, and I’m thankful. That’s not the only reason I’m thankful for him, but at 4:30 this morning, you betcha.


Also thankful...for automatic washer and dryer. Come on, y’all. For all the complaining about laundry, it could be much harder than it is, you know.


Thinking...about how even though our church is without a senior pastor at the moment, how blessed we’ve been by the men who have stepped in to open God’s word and teach us over the past 5 months so far. From lay men in our own congregation who are apt to teach (and God has richly blessed us there), to seminary professors (a decided benefit to living where I live so close to Southern Seminary), to men from our state association, we have heard challenging and encouraging and enriching Bible teaching that is making us think. Good stuff.


Pondering...last Sunday’s sermon. 2 Timothy 4:6-8 was the passage we examined, and I am challenged that, by God’s grace and by the power of the Spirit working in me, I want to be able to say at the end of my time on earth that I fought the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith. I am mindful that this is something I must do more than ponder about but must invest in now, today, as I walk in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, and take seriously the charge and calling to strive alongside my brothers and sisters in Christ for the faith of the gospel. Have I mentioned how meditating on the book of Philippians is challenging me? It is.


Waiting...for my copy of John MacArthur’s new book Slave to come in the mail. Looking forward to reading it. I am sure it will be challenging as well.


Glad...spring is on its way. My bulbs are poking little green sprouts through the formerly frozen ground. Can’t wait to see the flowers bloom!


Enough...rambling for now. My daughter is busy slathering bubble stuff all over her little legs, and I should go check on my puny boy. Must go be parental.


Happy March!


3 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Laughing at your "sitting" entry (a real notebook?! just call it vintage and you'll be trendy ;)
as well as chuckling at the "Also thankful" entry (as my dryer hums in the background).
Happy March to you as well :)

Lisa Spence said...

Pen and paper? So very vintage of you (as Mrs. H already observed). Sometimes the sunshine requires going old school! Sure would love to share a chat on the porch and a glass of sweet tea with you!

Rebekah said...

I would love that, too, Lisa!