Monday, May 02, 2011

Justice in a Fallen World

I did not know that Osama bin Ladin had been killed until I turned on Facebook this morning. Sad that I get my news from there a lot of times. Anyway, when I turned on the news this morning to check it out (because just because it's on Facebook doesn't mean it's true), I found myself very disconcerted at the dancing in the streets with people treating it like the kind of celebration over a football victory or something. I pondered a while over why I found it disconcerting, and my brother summed it up well for me when he commented on my FB query, "Why it's so disconcerting: because it is so similar to how that part of the world reacted to 9/11. We have shown that we are not above that level." I agree with my brother on that.

Later I listened to Albert Mohler's episode of "The Briefing, " and I appreciated his thoughts on it, which are even better spelled out on his blog today. So, while I am thankful for our intelligence services and military and the fact that a threat has been removed, I sincerely wish my fellow countrymen would treat it more soberly in the eyes of a watching world rather than give fuel to those who already hate us. Anyone who thinks this will end it isn't paying attention. And I'm really not looking forward to how this will be spun for all the political capital possible in the upcoming election cycle, either.

No comments: