Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How Having Children Turned My Head Into a Barometer of Sorts


Just so you know, there is very little point to this post except that it serves to keep me writing a little more regularly. 
I have always been prone to headaches, and bad ones at that.
However, they did not always correlate to weather patterns, as far as I can tell, until after the adventure of motherhood began for me. Let me explain.
When my middle son was about two, we lived in southern Indiana and my husband was deployed to Bosnia for a year. His being deployed has basically nothing to do with this story, but I like those interesting little details in a story, don’t you? Anyone who has lived in southern Indiana or northern Kentucky where we live now probably knows that the Ohio River Valley is notorious for allergy and sinus problems. I was already finding that I was one of those not unusual people who is susceptible to the ORV sinus affliction, and that was a new thing for this Florida girl who had grown up thinking I did not have seasonal allergies. Turns out I may not be allergic to Florida, but Kentuckiana (how I hate that silly phrase that our news people love to say) is another thing altogether.
But I digress. One day while I was in the midst of my Army-induced, year-long single motherhood, I was playing with my little boy and he proceeded to hit his head full force on my nose. Talk about blinding pain. I was sure he’d broken my nose and I was going to have two black eyes. I didn’t, but I do think something inside got rearranged and has forever after turned my head into a kind of barometer.
Now whenever there is a sudden change in weather, I will get a searing headache right down the middle of my forehead and in my nasal sinus passages and then the whole world starts spinning like I’m on a tilt-a-whirl. When this happens, I usually look at Drew and ask, “Is there a big weather front coming through our something?” Most of the time the answer is, “Yes.” I was once awakened out of a deep sleep by that searing sinus pain ripping through my head, while outside I heard the wind pick up and a violent storm just beginning. It is the strangest sensation.
Why am I writing about this now? As I was sitting here minding my own business this afternoon, my head started spinning. I couldn’t even walk straight with one foot in front of the other on the way up to the bus stop.  I hope I didn't look a little drunk as I wobbled up the hill. I promise you, I haven't had anything stronger than my pot of Earl Grey tea. While I agree with George Orwell that, "All true tea lovers not only like their tea strong, but like it a little stronger with each year that passes," I am quite sure my Earl Grey has nothing to do with my wobbliness this afternoon. 

The temperature has dropped dramatically over the course of the day today. In fact, here is part of the weather alert I found when I checked weather.com for my area:  A LARGE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP OVER THE APPALACHIANS TODAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL INTENSIFY RAPIDLY AND MOVE NORTH INTO NORTHERN OHIO THROUGH THURSDAY... DRAMATICALLY INCREASING OUR WINDS ACROSS SOUTH-CENTRAL INDIANA AND CENTRAL KENTUCKY. 
I knew it. 
I’m loving the cooler weather, though it’s a little disconcerting to go from hot to if it were only about 15 degrees colder the mist we’ve been having all day would probably be snow flurries. Today was the first day of the season that I had to use the heater in the car while I was out and about. Haven’t had to turn it on in the house yet, but I am enjoying the cooler weather, with a bit of wariness because I know how long wintry weather lasts once the cold sets in for good around here. 
Anyway, I am one of the only people I know who has to take motion sickness pills when I’m sitting still on dry, unmoving land. Thanks to a friend on Facebook for suggesting that, though, or I would never have thought of trying that to help with my weather-induced dizziness.
So, in case you’ve ever heard that having children just might make you a little loopy, I’m wobbling proof, sort of. 
Happy Wednesday. 

No comments: