Monday, March 12, 2007

Daylight Savings Ups and Downs

Some things I like about Daylight Savings Time:

Everything happens an hour earlier, so even if Boo gets up at what used to be 5:30, it’s now 6:30. Smile!! That is a decent time to wake up. And since D leaves for work about 5:30 AM, I usually get up and take my shower and try to read my Bible before needing to get the kids up and ready for the day. Today I was able to complete my Bible reading before having to take care of anyone’s breakfast!!! This is a first in a very long time. Lately Boo has been getting up so early that I’ve had to snatch Bible time throughout the morning as I had opportunity. Today was nice!

I’m a morning person, so it’s good to get the day started earlier.

I can stay up later and not be falling asleep at 9PM. Now I peter out around 10PM. I’ve told you I’m not a night owl.

More daylight for baseball practices in the evening.

It’s one more sign Spring is almost here.

Yep, it’s just mind games, I am aware of this, but it works for me!


Some downsides:

Morning starts in the DARK.

The kids are even harder to wake up and get them moving faster than a herd of turtles in pond water on school mornings.

The neighbor kids stay out until dark, and it doesn’t get totally dark until after my boys’ bedtime. Therefore, oldest son is not a happy camper when he is upstairs settling in for the night at dusk while he can look out the window and see his friend across the street still out playing. Yes, we are those strict parents that think 8-year-olds need to be in bed by 8PM, especially when he stays up for another hour reading and moves like pond water in the morning. We’re also those strict parents that don’t think that same kid needs to stay up after 9PM and watch American Idol like so many of his classmates, when we aren’t even watching it. (Can you tell what conversations have taken place around here?
“Mom, what’s American Idol?"
"A TV show about people who want to sing, but Daddy and I don't watch it."
"Why can’t I watch it? Is is bad?"
"I guess it's not bad, just not our thing. Besides, it's on after bedtime."
"But all my friends watch it and I never know what they’re talking about the next day.”
Boo. Hoo. I say. I have a feeling my kids are always going to be the weird ones because we seem to be stricter than the other parents in that we don’t let them watch just anything….and that’s a good thing.)

That’s the only downsides I can think of right now.

So, happy (almost) Spring everyone!


Update on M: I got him in to the doctor this morning and it turns out those swollen tonsils were strep throat. I’m feeling like Horrible Mom right now for making him wait all weekend to get on antibiotic. I’ve had strep throat and it HURTS. No wonder he was crying last night. I feel really, really badly for him! I just hate calling the doctor-on-call’s pager when I’m not sure. Turns out, I should have – she said they were in all weekend on calls and would have worked us in. Apparently this is going around all over town right now. We’re praying J, D and I stay healthy! The doctor also told me it’s very rare for a baby Boo’s age to contract strep, so I’m hoping that’s true! And M seems to be on the mend. He spent the day today watching cartoons and playing computer games. And J somehow managed to lose M’s weekend homework that he was supposed to turn in for him, so I wrote an e-mail to M’s teacher to explain that we’re looking for it in J’s classroom tomorrow, and would she please not hold it against M if he comes to school tomorrow without it.

It’s always something, so I keep on smiling…….and now I must go try to fix a dinner that my picky eaters will eat...or not, but it must be on the table shortly, anyhow.

3 comments:

Elle said...

Rebekah, your kids can totally be weird with mine. I love your pros and cons list, although personally I'm still adjusting myself to the whole "morning is DARK" thing!

Deena Peterson said...

Loved your "herd of turtles" line...and I can SO relate!! Everyone around my office was dozing off yesterday...

And let your kids be weird...they can hang out with mine!

Lisa Spence said...

I'm with you, I hate waking my kids up in the morning when it's dark...and we are also weird parents raising weird kids who live different! You are right, it is a good thing, but not always an easy thing...