Saturday, January 05, 2008

Back to Better Blogging Soon

I seem to be on a blogging lite schedule these days. With kids home from school until Monday when Christmas break is over and the kids' bedroom transition and reorganizing projects we have going on, blogging is low priority right now. I do have some posts I am ruminating, but they will have to wait until next week, it looks like. Until then, a few random things so I don't feel I am completely neglecting the blog:
  • I really enjoy reading to the kids. Boo loves to sit in my lap and read any of her books, but especially the series of Sesame Street books featuring Elmo looking for a little black puppy. And the boys really enjoy reading together in the evening. I started reading A Little Princess the other night after wondering if my two rowdy boys would care anything about the book, which is about a little girl, but was one of my very favorites growing up. Surprisingly, they do. In fact, I am feeling horrid at the moment because we got to the very, very sad part of the book tonight when tragedy strikes the main character, and both boys were wiping tears. Even though I couldn't read that part without choking up, that kind of surprised me to see them get so involved with the story. I keep assuring them that though we had to end on a very sad note tonight, the story ends very happy. Anyway, we like to read around here.
  • We have partially finished the bedroom transition, and M loves having his own room and bunk bed. We still have some furniture to move around and some shelves to take down in Boo's room and some reorganizing to do, but they are now sleeping in their new rooms. I am very excited about the ideas I am having for decorating the rooms, too.
  • We finally had our piano tuned yesterday. It sounds wonderful. I knew it was out of tune and needing tuning, but I didn't realize just how much better it would sound. Nice. I have a longer blog post churning about that, but I am too tired tonight to work it out just yet. For now it is nice that J can finally play on a tuned piano. Poor kid, I have been so lax. But, not any longer.
  • And finally, here is the passage the boys are working on memorizing for their Wednesday night children's choir at our church (I'm working on memorizing it, also):

Psalm 1

Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.

The ungodly are not so,
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

5 comments:

Julie Stiles Mills said...

I need to have my piano tuned. I'm teaching my kids scales and am tired of saying, "no really honey, that IS right." I don't mean to be pushy, but I would be interested in your response to my latest blog "question" at http://pragmaticcompendium.wordpress.com/ If you have time and are interested.

Anonymous said...

Just think how sweet it will be when the kids are in school and the house is clean & organized?!!

A little patch of heaven right here on earth! :-)

Happy organizing!

One in the Body~ Pearl

Lisa Bolling said...

How sweet that your boys like the story "The Little Princess". It is important for little boys to show emotion. What a joy they must be for you.
Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of reading a 'big kid' story to all the kids together. Thanks for this.

Rebekah said...

Oh, yes. The time we read together is really special. We stayed up past their bedtime last night just to get to a decent stopping place, and even then the boys were begging me to read, "Just one more page, please!" Besides that, even if the book is not necessarily a Christian book, we get to talk about things and frame them from a biblical worldview in how we talk about what is happening in the story - like how someone who was trusting Christ might have done things differently or how the attitudes and motives shown were good or bad, that kind of thing. I'm already thinking about what we'll read next, and I'm thinking it may be 'Treasure Island', perhaps.