Saturday, January 19, 2008

Lovely Day for a Primary

Or: Tut, Tut, Looks Like Rain

Well, I voted today. Took part in the democratic process and cast my vote. I have had such a difficult time this year, not really loving any of the choices that it took me until this afternoon to make my final decision and go over to my polling place. In the rain. With kids in tow. One child in a stroller. Through the dirt parking lot which had turned to thick, deep, sticky mud after two days of solid rain. Stroller got stuck in the mud and oldest son had to help me pull it along. Didn’t have to wait in line at all. The person I voted for most likely won’t win the nomination, but he’s the one I felt I could stand the most, the one I thought would make the better president given the choices we had and the one who seemed to be the most consistently conservative, meaning smaller federal government and seeming to have a clue about what we are facing in foreign policy, etc., and also seemed the most consistent in his past record, meaning not as much flip-flopping on issues, and, important to me – tolerable record on abortion (anti), though not as stellar as I would have liked. And the kids and Drew got the chance to ‘meet’ him when he came through our little town and made a planned stop at a restaurant in town.

And, I’ll vote in the big election in November. I probably won’t be thrilled with the choices, but, again, I’ll vote for the one I think will make the better president. I don’t say ‘best’ because I am not sure anyone who is running from either party will be a ‘best’ president, but I’ll do my civic duty and vote for the one I think will be the better choice. And the next morning I will pray for the one who wins and go on about my business. Whoever the winner is.

You see, my hope is not in who wins this, or any other, election. I do think as a responsible citizen I should pray for the elections and vote thoughtfully and responsibly, but I won’t be in mourning or rejoicing whatever the outcome in November. Though there are definitely some I hope do not win. But, this is not a political blog. So, that’s all I’m saying about that.

No comments: