Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Measurements Tic Tac Style

My six-year-old son was reading a book about venomous snakes while we were driving to school this morning. Yuck, I say, but find a topic that interests him and he’ll read, and that’s a good thing. Anyway, he was reading about the black mambo and how it is very long – like 14 feet I think he said. Then he said, “That’s not that long. I’m 51 feet tall.”

I started laughing out loud at that one. I couldn’t help it. I just got this mental image of a huge kid stomping over the school building. “Inches, honey, inches. You’re 51 inches tall. Daddy’s slightly under six feet. I think you’d be about as tall as a five story building if you were 51 feet!”

By then we all were laughing, and Tic Tac was so funny contemplating what it would be like to stand on the ground and look in the window of a five-story building. Hmmmm....he is the basketball player of the family.....so maybe he's subconsciously wanting to be tall?

Then, a few minutes later he was reading about another snake that was “four miles long!” I started laughing again. “Meters! A four mile long snake could wrap itself around the block in our neighborhood about 6 ½ to 8 times! Can you image how awful it would be to really find a snake that long?” Just the thought of that is enough to give me chills. UGH.

Poor Tic Tac. I think we need to work on what those abbreviations mean. But the laugh was fun on the way to school this morning.

No comments: