Monday, March 10, 2008

School Dreams

It must be time for midterms and Spring Break. I know this, not because I am still in college (many, many thanks for that!) but because I had one of those school dreams again last night. This was one of the worst ones I have ever had. It involved people I knew in high school, a college dorm room, missing the school bus, forgetting my lunch money, all the immature angst over not fitting in with the homecoming crowd which I really thought I'd been over for years now, not being able to find my dorm room, a science project that was due in a short time that I had not even started yet, and lots of terrifying, disjointed scenes and emotions worthy of the worst CSI episode. And the worst part was that I actually woke up a few times during the night and then slipped right back into the dream when I fell asleep again. I wish my conscious imagination were as creative as my subconscious. I'm exhausted.

I told my husband about my nightmare and the subsequent restless night and then said, "Am I ever going to get over school?" To which he replied, "It doesn't look like it." Bless that man, but exhortation may not be his primary gift - at least not early in the morning when we forgot to set the alarm last night and overslept today. Had it not been for the time change, the time we awoke naturally wouldn't have been oversleeping, stupid time change. Day light savings time - I'm not a fan.

I know part of my problem is the science fair project our oldest son is working on. I think it is crazy that I feel so stressed about it, because it is his project, not mine, but he does need some help. This is his first ever science fair project. We have pretty much decided Daddy is going to be helping him, because Mommy cannot seem to contemplate the thought of a science fair project without hyperventilating.

I love my husband. I really, really do.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

I've had dreams like that, too. It usually involves realizing I haven't attended a class all semester and now have to take a final I know absolutely nothing about!

Also familiar with the exchange you had with D - if you were a fly on the wall around here, you'd probably hear something very similar! :-)

Rebekah said...

I have that dream a lot, too. And I also dream that I cannot get my locker open or I can't find my class or I don't have time to get to my next class. There are so many variations, and none of them are happy.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Ah...those school dreams.....I use to dislike them too!!!!

I LOVE your humor regarding your hubby!!! Too cute.

Lisa Spence said...

A science fair project IS a nightmare, no doubt about it.