Friday, February 11, 2011

Thankful Thursday on a Friday

There’s no time that isn’t a good time to be thankful, and I’m thankful for that. I forgot all about Thankful Thursday yesterday. I even got around to writing a rather lame blog post yesterday, blog posts of any sort being a fairly rare occurrence anymore it seems, but I forgot about Thursday and thankfulness going together in a blog post. So, I figure I’ll be thankful today.


I’m thankful for good books, new and old.


I’m thankful for strawberries, one of the few things I find to really like about February, this most wintery and drear of months. Good thing it’s the shortest month. But, oh, how I love those first strawberries of the season, and how excited I am when they appear at the grocery store.


I’m thankful for Psalm 116:15: “Precious in the eyes of the LORD is the death of His saints.” A sweet lady from our church family went home to be with Jesus this week. Mrs. ‘Lib’ was a precious lady and I will miss her sweet smile and welcoming hugs. She and her husband brought us a plate of cookies the day the moving van arrived at our new house here to welcome us to the neighborhood and the church. I feel I didn't get to know her long enough, but I'm thankful for the privilege of knowing her a little bit for a little while. She will be missed, and though tears fall as I type this, I’m glad to know her voice is joining with the great Hallelujah Chorus of Heaven now, and she is whole and healed in the presence of her Lord.


I’m thankful for Lamentations 3:22-24: “Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. ‘The LORD is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘Therefore I hope in Him!’” And for 2 Corinthians 12:9: “And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” And for Philippians 1:6: “And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” And for James 1:5: “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”


The reason I am thankful for all of those verses is that today I am having one of those days when I realize I am failing in some areas as a parent. But I am thankful that though I am failing, my Savior will never fail me or my kids and He will give me the wisdom to know how to do this mom thing well and for His glory. I am thankful for the mercy of His allowing me to recognize failings and take steps to correct them. I'm also realizing the need to sleep on emotional posts before posting them as this is now the edited and toned down version of the previous post which because of lack of context and details presented a more dire picture than I intended.


I’m thankful for the privilege of prayer. And I’m going to end this post now and go get on my knees and petition the throne for the wisdom to parent well and for His glory right now.

No comments: