Tuesday, September 06, 2011

An Evening Prayer

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord, my soul to keep,
My words were sharp, my temper flared
No one in my wake was spared
Though I ask forgiveness still I know
The words forever hang there, so
Please, O gracious, Father, I pray
Grant me the wisdom to watch what I say.
Let the law of kindness be on my tongue
And let my actions match the songs I have sung
Let me think on Your word and fill up my mind
With Your law of love and teach me to ever be kind
And love You with my whole heart, soul and mind

I desire to live in the light of your grace
And point others to Jesus, to delight in Your face
My Savior, my Lord, I'm saved only by Your grace.
What I want to do, so often I fail
But Your mercy, everlasting will avail
To kill the hypocrite I find so often in me
And growing and trusting and just like a tree
That's planted by streams of the living water, made free.

As far as the east is from the west
So humbling to know You forgive me, Who knows me best
Now as I lay this day to rest
Please help me remember how very blessed
To belong to the Shepherd Who leads me beside
Still waters and green pastures and walks by my side
The Shepherd who will lead me home
And cause my heart to forever cease to roam. 

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever." Psalm 23:6

"As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him." Psalm 103:13

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue." Proverbs 31:26

May it be so, Lord, in life and in blogging. I think maybe I like me better when I wasn't blogging as much there recently. May I learn to be critical of the right things in the right way and to keep a lot more of my musings private rather than public. I've deleted a post that fits that category, though it's so long past that any who may read it already have. Some things are better left in the prayer closet. And, oh the shame of a too quick tongue and too sharp sarcastic comment at home. I am tempted to shirk responsibility and say it's so much harder to keep my cool when husband is out of town, but really the responsibility for my unkindness is my own. Let me learn, O gracious Lord, to speak less if what I say is not wise and to be kind, even in the midst of necessary discipline or rebuke. 

And thank You, Lord, for this: "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, therefore I will hope in him.'" Lamentations 3:22-24

No comments: