Wednesday, May 23, 2007

In Which I Ramble On About Nothing Important

After all the excitement on Monday, things are kind of quiet around the Sweet Tea household. That’s okay with me. Oliver seems to be on the mend with medication that is helping manage the pain and acting more like himself, and the boys (and D and I, too) are relieved. Boo annoys him, though, when she sees him lying in the floor minding his own business and she gets that excited little gleam in her eyes and makes a beeline right for him so she can put her fingers in his beard. He patiently gets up and moves, until she does it for the umpteenth time and he’s had enough and gives her a little growl. Then her feelings are hurt and she bawls. Things are back to normal for sure.

The boys are going to be in our local paper sometime soon, and they were somewhat apprehensive about it this afternoon. Because D works in the medical fitness field at the hospital, he got into contact with the local paper to do a story about the kids’ Playstation game with the dance/aerobics mat. Something about interactive games as opposed to just sitting still. Anyway, this particular game isn’t actually our boys’ favorite – they’d rather play the Star Wars games – but they get to be in the article demonstrating their game. Kind of neat. I dropped them off at D’s office this afternoon to meet with the reporter and photographer, and Boo and I headed off to the grocery store. Does anyone else feel like you live at the grocery store? No matter how well I plan out our menu, I always end up having to go back for something a few days a week.

Well, another side-effect of all the excitement is that I’m feeling a bit of blog brain freeze. I’ve tried working on a couple of real posts, but they just aren’t ready yet, so I’m stuck with mundane ramblings again. Maybe the thoughts will settle out soon. But, at the moment, I’m mostly thinking about how the boys need to go to bed on time tonight so D and I can watch the LOST season finale. I don’t blog much about TV because TV, for the most part, is pretty silly and there’s not much that we feel good about watching and we don’t really watch much, anyway, but we did get interested in LOST in the first season, and have stayed with it because the writing is so good and the story is interesting. Sometimes a little too interesting, in that the mysteries get a little frustrating when they drag out so long, and some of the story line could be becoming a bit creepy (not sure I’m liking the whole bit with Jacob, if you watch it, you know what I mean) – I’m hoping in the end the explanations will be rational and not some weird spiritual thing. That always concerns me a bit, and if it goes too far off we’ll have to quit. But now that the writers have an end date in sight, it’s getting good again. I feel a little guilty being so interested in a TV show, but I do enjoy a good mystery.

On another note entirely, today was a good mail day. The books I ordered from the Westminster Bookstore came, and I’m looking forward to getting started reading them with the boys. Thanks, Leslie for pointing me over there! And I’m re-reading Hard to Believe by John MacArthur. Very, very deep thinking. Some of that is what I’m mulling over in those more serious posts in the draft folder. I should be getting my copy of Truth War soon, too. And summer reading starts at the library soon, so I’ve got to get the boys over there this week and sign up. I just found out they have an adult summer reading program, too, so I may try to squeeze in some fun mystery reading as well and join in. (You know, because I have so much spare time for reading. Ha, ha, ha, ha!) I’ve been planning some fun things for summer with the kids, too. I think I’m as excited about the break as they are.

Oh, and with all the end of the year excitement comes a major headache inducing frustration, too. The kindergarten classes have planned to have the kindergarten graduation out at the beach this year rather than in the school auditorium as they’ve always done in the past. It will be a big picnic with all the families bringing food and enjoying this Friday at the beach. Sounds like fun, huh? You would think so, but, the school district has to throw in its red tape. This year is the first year that new screening guidelines were implemented for anyone who wanted to volunteer in the classroom or chaperone a field trip. What the kindergarten teachers forgot to realize was that the school considers this trip to the beach a field trip. Any parent who wants to attend must have a background check done and be screened by the district office. I had already been screened and approved earlier this year when I volunteered in J’s classroom, but my husband has not. We found out yesterday that he needs to be approved or he cannot come on Friday. In fact, so many parents have not been screened that the trip may be canceled. He filled out the form and I took it in yesterday morning only to be told that he has to personally hand it in, it can’t come from me. So, he took the boys to school this morning and filled out the paperwork. We’re hoping he’s cleared in time for Friday. Actually, it’s becoming such a hassle, I’m secretly hoping the whole thing gets canceled and we can go back to having it in the school auditorium and I can get Boo back home for a decent nap rather than trying to juggle a cranky baby all day at the beach. Sigh. Oh, and the irony is, if we just have a production at the school, none of us would have to be screened and approved. We’d just go to the auditorium. How’s that for not making much sense? We were wondering what’s to stop anyone from just showing up at the beach, approved or not. It’s a public beach! Anyway, I am actually glad that they are taking the safety of our children this seriously, but it’s sad to me that we live in a society where such drastic measures are necessary.

So, there you have it. My not so very deep thoughts for this Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clicking to the bookstore from my blog!! I hope you like your books.

That really stinks about the graduation. Do you really think they will have all those background checks done by Friday? What a bunch of rigamarole.