Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Random Thoughts on a Sunny Day

I’m fighting off a raging headache, due to my new decision to eliminate caffeine and Nutrasweet/aspartame from my system, as well as deciding that the allergy medicine my doctor put me on is having decidedly worse side effects than the original symptoms, so I’ve quit taking it, too. Foggy-brain, occasional unsteadiness in walking, slight dizzy spells, upset stomach, incredibly crazy dreams and extreme fatigue are not worth it to have clear sinuses. Though, the dream I had last night gave me a great plot idea for the book I started writing in high school and which I intend to get back to one day. I need to write the ideas down before I forget…..

Speaking of forgetting, I haven’t had many bloggable thoughts the past few days due to the fuzzy head the Singulair has given me. I feel like I’m thinking in a fog and I can’t get any ideas to settle. So, no more of that for me, thank-you. I need to be a functioning member of my family, not a lump on the couch because I’m so tired I can’t think straight. One of the websites I read said it takes a few days for all the medication to leave the system, so I’m hoping to be back to normal in a couple of days.

Seeing as this post is fairly random, I’ll just share some stream-of-consciousness thoughts. The damaged bridge is open to alternating traffic during certain times of the day, and since it is the fastest way to church we drove over it Sunday morning for the first time since the barge hit it. The boys were having quite an animated conversation in the backseat about what it would be like to drive over the bridge. During our smooth drive over when it was our turn to cross, M said, “It feels kind of bumpy, but it doesn’t feel like it’s breaking under us or anything.” Whew. Poor kid. I didn’t realize how worried they were. We knew it was safe enough to drive over with the restrictions in place, but they’ve heard all the talk about the damage, and I think they were expecting to see a gaping hole or something, and they didn’t realize that it is damage to the underside that is being shored up. Though D and I couldn’t look at each other without laughing when M said that, I do feel badly that they were that worried.

Oh, and I complain a lot about living here, but there are benefits to life on the island, too. Today Boo and I went out front for some fresh air and to try and wake myself up a little. We sat in the grass in the front yard, and I blew bubbles for her and just enjoyed this beautiful, breezy day. While sitting there I realized that it was really quiet. I mean, at that moment, I heard no cars or other people, just birds and the buzz of the bees in the flower beds. It was really nice. There aren’t many places like that anymore. We get so used to constantly hearing motors of some sort as the background noise of our lives, that to just sit there and enjoy the quiet was very nice. We also saw a red-headed woodpecker in the tree across the street, and I watched him for a while. I tried to get a picture, but I think it might have been too shady. The other day we saw a beautiful bluebird, too – not a bluejay, but a bright bluebird. And the geese at the pond have had babies, and they are so cute and fuzzy yellow, and the momma goose is so protective she hisses if you walk past. So, there are fun things about living here, too, and that little quiet moment out front with my sweet little girl was a nice way to take my mind off my headache for a bit.

Hoping to get my system detoxed, decaffeinated and back to normal soon so I can be a more effective wife and mommy and also get a few decent blog posts written. Meanwhile, it’s a beautiful day, and I’m thankful the Lord is slowly changing my heart and attitude about living here. He is worthy of all praise, at all times, no matter what my head feels like, and even when I can’t get my thoughts around a deeper topic to post about. It was nice to just sit in the quiet sunshine and thank Jesus for the glorious day and the peace to sit and enjoy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear the meds had such an effect! OTC allergy stuff makes me completely high, so I can only imagine what Rx strength might do! Praying for you to feel better, friend. :)