Monday, June 16, 2008

For My Parents

Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad!

My mom and dad have been married 40 years today. In a day and age when many of my peers grew up in broken homes and even more of my children’s peers are doing so, I think it is wonderful to rejoice with couples who have honored the covenant of marriage for better or worse, for richer or poorer and in sickness and in health. I am so thankful for my mom and dad. I am thankful for the way they taught my brother and me about the Lord and His word as we were growing up and how they introduced me to Jesus. I am thankful for the home I grew up in and what a safe haven it always seemed to me as I was growing up. I am thankful, too, that my parents raised me in such a way that when I became an adult and got married, I was able to leave their authority and cleave to my own husband. I am thankful that my parents are also my friends now that I am grown. I am thankful for their commitment to God and His word and their love for Jesus, and how they enjoy discussing God’s word with me, their daughter. That is a precious legacy.

I love you, Mom and Dad.

No comments: