Thursday, September 04, 2008

Pondering

I don't blog much about politics here. I don't intend to start doing much now. But, I am also not an ostrich with my head in the sand. I do follow the politics of my country pretty closely, I do have some strong opinions, and I don't mind sharing them sometimes. However, my blog is kind of a safe haven for me to write out things I'm thinking about and I tend to stay away from controversial subjects, because, let's face it, I don't know who is out there that might stumble across my rambling thoughts and have a bone to pick, and I've said before I don't like to debate very much when it gets all heated and argumentative. Having said all that, I felt like it would be a little weird to say nothing while I'm thinking a lot. I do have something I'm pondering and thinking about, so I'll say just a little bit here.

I really liked Sarah Palin's speech last night. From what little I have read about her, I like her stand on many issues. She seems like a very accomplished woman who loves her family. She's probably the kind of girl I would have felt very intimidated by in high school, but that's another post - we won't get into my self-esteem issues here. I was already planning to vote for John McCain come November, and I actually feel more excited about it now after watching last night, because I believe that my values are better represented with this choice than the other who will not be named here. I don't think I have to agree with everything a politician believes or does in every area of their life to be able to vote for them, but I do have a responsibility to vote, and I will choose the one that I believe will be closest to the things I think are most important, abortion being up at the top, as I mentioned before. There, I said it.

There are some things I'm pondering, however, and there are several posts I have read recently that have sparked some thinking for me. Keep in mind these are just things I'm ruminating about, I'm not making any definitive comments here, just thinking out loud a little. This whole situation has me thinking about Christian women's roles in general, and I'm not going into all that here, but there is a lot of discussion going on all over the internet. So, I'm thinking. A lot. I am wanting to make sure I understand what the Bible does and does not teach for myself and not just what someone else has told me it does or does not teach and how that is to apply to our lives. For the record, I do not believe women should be pastors or elders in the local church. The Bible is clear on that. I'm not as sure as some people I have heard recently that it is as clear on their role in secular government, however. I do want to submit my opinions to the authority of scripture, so I am trying to be careful with my pondering.

In the case of Sarah Palin, I wonder if it were a man in her place with young children at home would the concerns be the same? I know children need mom. But they need dad, too, so the concern would still be an issue, I think. In general I believe it is best for a mom with young children to be home with her children. I also think that it seems that Mr. and Mrs. Palin seem to be on the same page with each other and they seem to be okay together with her career. Is it the best? I don't know. I don't know the Palins and I am not their judge as to what happens in their personal prayer closets. I do know I certainly wouldn't be able to do the things Mrs. Palin has done and I know that I do not want to. I am not wired like that at all. I have zero desire to be in the political limelight. Just the thought could lead me to breaking out in a cold sweat. But she is not me. That's all I'm going to say on it, except that I am really doing a lot of thinking and praying about the broader issues implicated in all of this and how I am to believe and stand in my own life, and I'll probably keep all that to myself for now, thank you.

Here are some posts I've read recently, and I'm thankful for the thoughts these have shared:

Dr. Albert Mohler: An Unexpected New Motherhood Debate

This from Brad Williams at Sojourner

This and this from Carla at Reflections of the Times

This from Kim at The Upward Call

This from Amy at Amy's Humble Musings - the comment thread is interesting, too

This from Douglas Wilson

Just a little bit of what I've been reading recently. Okay, back to my non-political front porch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'll go first. You have articulated very well some thoughts that have been floating around in my head. You could be speaking for me, in fact. What am I missing here? Have I misunderstood the "conservative" thinking on sahmotherhood? Thanks so much for this post!

Nate's Mom