Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Day I've Had

I wear several hats at my house it’s true
But today, I’ll discuss with you only two.
The first hat’s title that comes to mind
Is “Rememberer of Things That We’ve Left Behind.”
This morning as toward school we did drive,
I asked, “Have you lunch boxes?” Then, oh, man alive,
The answer from middle child was, sadly, "No."
So, a big u-turn I did and home we did go.
When at school we arrived with lunch boxes in tow,
I looked up at second son and said a bit madly,
“M., where’s your jacket?” This morning had started badly.
He shrugged, and I sent him on to class with the statement
I’d return with said jacket, for winter cold showed no sign of abatement.
Back home I returned to retrieve clothing piece,
And drove back to school with jacket of fleece.

But that first hat is just one of my many addresses.
The next we discuss is “She Who Cleans Up All Our Messes.”
Yes, this one is relentless at times it does seem,
But this is what it takes to make this house gleam.
One thing that I ask, with forehead awrinkle,
Is why my two boys can’t hit potty with tinkle?
Bleach is my friend when cleaning that room,
How in the world does he get toothpaste all over bathroom?
And also, I’ve managed to get laundry folded and stacked
And delivered to boys’ room, wondering, will it be unpacked?
There’s something about little boys and clean clothes,
They’ll walk round that basket asking, "Did you wash those?"
And really I’m not meaning to whine,
For now my clean house is smelling of pine.

(Well, not pine, exactly, more like bleach and Mr. Clean, but it had to rhyme!)

That was really bad, I know.........

4 comments:

Rick Frueh said...

And while reading this post
I must wholly agree
The giftings of God
are awesome to see
From moving the mountains
To moving kid's toys
All that we do
Is wrapped in His joys
So as man's works seem
so great in their eyes
A mother's faithfulness
Catches His eyes.

Rebekah said...

Thank you, Rick! That was nice. It must be poetry day on my blog today. And, yes, there is much joy in being "Mom."

Rick Frueh said...

Rebekah, I recognize the God given talent of a certain believer named Jules! It looks great, and she did my blog graphics also.

Elle said...

Seems there was a sale on "Rememberer of Things Left Behind" hats because I got one too! This morning the littlest one had to do with his older brother's jacket. One brother's leavings benefitted the other brother's forgettings. Cute poem!