Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Winter Day

A composite of the type of conversation I have on any given chilly morning during the winter:

Me: "J. and M., wear long pants and long sleeves. It's cold out today."

One or the other boy: "Can I just wear long sleeves and shorts?"

Me: "No, it is winter. It is cold. Wear jeans. There are clean ones in the laundry basket you passed 5 times on your way upstairs yesterday afternoon."

Now, we've had breakfast and are getting ourselves to the car:

Me: "Guys, put your jackets on, it's cold out."

One of the boys: "Do I have to wear a jacket? It's already in my backpack, and I have long sleeves on. I always get hot."

Me: "Yes. You must wear a jacket. There is frost on the ground outside. It is winter. Put. It. On. Now."

Sulky looks, but the jackets go on.

Now we are at school and climbing out of the car.

One of the boys: "It's cold out here."

Me: "This is what I'm saying." Mentally smiling and trying not to scream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Same conversation takes place over here...yeah, sometimes Mama DOES have some good ideas, like a coat when it's 22* out...

Anonymous said...

Love it! I can picture that little smile as they walk away now--'cause I have definitely played this one out before. It's nice to know kids are all the same sometimes (and eventually they do believe us!)