Monday, January 22, 2007

Writer's Block

I've been facing a bit of writer's block (blogger's block??) since yesterday. In fact, I did write out the thing that is heavy on my heart, but decided it is not something I ought to put out here in detail, due to the fact I'm trying not to be publicly critical and complaining. Suffice it to day we are still struggling with some things at our church and that I have spent much time crying over them. I am convicted that I need to be spending as much or more time praying over them as I am crying about them, however, so I won't go into details here again. That will be for my personal prayer journal. I am also a little nervous, but also encouraged, because my husband is planning to take some of the specific concerns to the pastor when the opportunity arises and be blunt about what his concerns are. I'm praying for my attitude and that I would be obedient to God in how I think and act on this, and for my husband to have the right words at the right time, and for the pastor to be able to hear him, because we really do want God to be glorified through this church body. And we really do want people to be hearing the truth explained well whenever the church doors are opened so we can truly be equipped to live out our faith in the community. We are encouraged, too, because yesterday afternoon D. talked with another deacon at the church who seems to be becoming aware of some of the same issues independently of us. As they talked, D. was really encouraged that perhaps there is still hope for our church.

It is also encouraging that the pastor is supporting a massive curriculum change in the Sunday School that will affect babies through adults. It is doctrinally sound and teaches the Bible more chronologically and shows how God's plan throughout scripture fits together and how all scripture is connected. This is very different from the traditional way of teaching a story here and a story there, but never spelling out why it is all important together as HIS story, and how a proper understanding of the Bible leads to a proper understanding of Who God is and of the atoning work of Christ. I'm excited about that. So, I'll be spending some time in prayer today, for sure, and I hope to spend less time complaining on my blog and saving that for the private prayer journal.

1 comment:

Rick Frueh said...

It is a very subtle deception that the evil ones uses today by convincing believers that as long as they are content with the "children's teaching" at the church they are willing to compromise in the doctrinal issues. Not that when pressed most evangelical preachers are still able to subscribe the basic tenants of the faith, but by the earthly presentations that appeal to the flesh the deep truths that reveal the Godhead to His people are severely diluted.

But everyone is content due to the other things that go on in a typical local gathering. Is the pastor a man of God? Is his oratory polished and well humored or is it powerful, broken, and compelling? Is the church in significant debt led by the pastor? Does the pastor lead at least one prayer gathering every week or is he too busy? Do people always leave uplifted or is there ever a time where all are weeping over sin? Are there weeks of preaching on the Savior and the cross or are there messages mostly on these earthly lives and to our benefit?

Prayer and fasting? Is it not time that we hold up the teaching against the backdrop of the Majesty of Almighty God? The message transcends the messenger, and God will empower those who with contrition and repentance worship before His glorious and transforming presence.

Please Lord Jesus, meet with us in glory and holiness as we gather together so that these same children we are so concerned with will learn by experiencing the awesome power of your presence. And instead of distraction they will be consumed with, until they mature and join, absorbing the sight of followers of Jesus enthralled in obedient worship before Him who is our Life. And may the little children see less of their parents and more of transfigured worshipers and with that the Spirit will draw them into the place we pray for them and that God desires.

Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord of Hosts.