Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Visiting With Old Friends

We had a busy weekend around here. My husband’s best friend from his undergraduate days at Ball State University, who was also best man at our wedding, came to visit with his wife and four children. They were vacationing a few hours away and stopped in to see us at the end of their trip. We haven’t seen them in about 7 years since they live so far away. I wasn’t part of the original group of friends since I didn’t meet Drew (I just cannot keep calling my husband “D” on this blog) until he came to the University of Florida for graduate school, and though I’d met these friends some through the years, I don’t have all the history Drew has with them. But one very wonderful thing about the body of Christ is that we are family, and once they got here it was like I’d known them all along. We have a bond in Christ that is special, and this was such a fun visit.

Our kids got along very well, too, in spite of how crowded it is to sleep 11 (eleven!) people in our house. Their boys are about the same age as ours and there was very little arguing the whole time they were here. That is amazing, my friends, when you consider that my two can’t go an hour without arguing usually, it seems. And their little girls enjoyed playing with our little Boo and her toys. Because it was so late in the afternoon on Sunday when we got home, they stayed another night, and the kids were thrilled to have more time to play, and it was nice to have the time to take them down to the waterfront park downtown and see the historic part of town. We adults stayed up talking well past midnight both nights they were here, and that’s really something for me who is not a night person at all. But we figured if we’re only going to see them every 7 years, might as well make the most of it!

Here’s all the Little Rascals together on a bench swing at the park:


No comments: