Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fall is Almost Here




I think of all the seasons, fall is my favorite. I love when the heat of summer breaks and the sauna-like blanket of humidity lifts and the air is crisp and dry and it is pleasant to be outside again. Yesterday evening, I had given Boo her bath, but she was cranky, cranky, cranky, and it was just too early for her to go to bed for the night yet, so I took her and J outside to play for a while. It was so nice out that we could actually enjoy being outside, and J and I played a little basketball, while Boo entertained herself walking her toy walker up and down the driveway. By the way, she’s finally walking! You may remember I was worried a few months back that she wasn’t walking. Well, at 16 months old, she’s finally decided it’s really fun to let go and walk across the room. She’s been ready for several months, but very cautious about letting go.

Anyway, we got out the sidewalk chalk and had a blast decorating the driveway. Then Drew came home with M from M’s flag football practice and they joined us. The boys now have an elaborate chalk mural on the driveway and M can’t wait to get back to it this afternoon. Boo just likes to be outside. You can see from the pictures that she pretty much undid any good the bath had done her earlier, but, oh, did she have fun sitting in that chalk picture.

Boo and I got to take a nice walk this morning, too, since the extreme heat of summer has fled. I love the breezy, fresh time of early fall!

Here are some of the things fall means to me:

Cloudless blue skies
Crisp, dry air as the humidity of summer finally lifts its heavy cloak off the marshland
College football, school colors and cheering for your team
Backpacks, homework and hectic afternoons
Screened windows and doors open to enjoy the fall air
Lower utility bills
A read-along at Jules’ place (check it out!)
The first brightly colored leaves
Pumpkins, scarecrows and hay bales
Hay rides and hot chocolate
A visit to the pumpkin patch
Pumpkin pie, cinnamon, sugar and spice
Spiced apple cider
My oldest son’s birthday – October will always be special
A time to remember and continue to be thankful
The smell of burning leaves
Roasted marshmallows

These are just a few of the things I love about fall. With the slightly cooler temperatures the past two days, though, I realized I need to get to the store and buy two of my kids new jackets. Won’t be long until we need them!

1 comment:

Kim said...

It is good to see pictures of your family! I love fall,too...such gorgeous days.