Monday, September 10, 2007

A Good Morning

We were almost late to school this morning. Mornings have been a little hectic around here because the boys have been a bit sluggish when getting ready for school (moving like pond water, I’m sayin’). I told them they cannot have the TV on in the morning, which was actually how it should have been all along anyway. Today, while having a little devotional together over breakfast, the boys and I got into a really interesting discussion about how incredibly awesome God really is. I lost all track of time and then realized we had to hurry up and finish getting out the door to school. But they did get there on time, barely, and I’m very thankful for the time we had together. It was a real blessing and a joyous treat to get to see a little bit how God is working in their hearts and how they are thinking and processing what we’re learning.

J told me that he has a really hard time understanding how no one created God, He just is and always has been. I told him that’s a big thing to realize, and we talked about how the Bible says to fear the Lord. I said, “You know what you’re feeling and thinking right now? That’s a glimpse of what it means to fear God. Awesome respect.”

I’m still reading Desiring God and it’s not an easy read, but, oh, am I liking it! The other day, because of what I’m reading, I got to thinking about God’s eternality, too, and I finally came to a point where I was shaking. It is somewhat frightening and awe-inspiring thinking deeply on this thought. It is really awesome, and I mean that in its real sense not the slang one, to think about how holy and how immeasurably awesome God really is. We do not have the words to fully describe how great is our God, and my mind cannot comprehend these things completely. In fact, I think I got just a glimpse of what Isaiah meant when he saw the LORD and said, “Woe is me, for I am undone!” Not a thing to make light of, indeed. I think we very seldom really realize what an amazing, incredible gift grace truly is that we are allowed access to this holy, holy, holy God and that because of Jesus’ blood shed on Calvary, we, through faith in Him alone, are clean and righteous to stand before Him. Awesome, indeed. In fact, I am extremely humbled and sometimes feel very inadequate and even a little intimidated when I even think about discussing and writing about these very important kinds of things. The more I learn and study God’s word, the more responsibility I sense to handle it wisely and carefully, and I do try very hard to be careful when I write on this blog about the serious things or when we hold discussions in our Wednesday women’s Bible study, not that I don’t make mistakes ever, but I try very hard to handle the Word with care.

I also got to thinking about a lot of the conversations I hear and read on blog comment threads that seem almost like people are just playing around with spiritual conversation, kind of making a game of the conversation and trying to outdo each other with how erudite or complicated and intellectually brilliant they can be. It’s not a game, and some things are just not to be trifled with.

Anyway, then I told the boys about Deuteronomy 29:29 which says, “The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.” The things about God that we can only glimpse but not fully comprehend belong in that first category of the secret things. Our minds are finite, and to comprehend completely the infinite and the fact that God is not bound by time as we are is really more than we can completely understand. That’s one of those truths I just accept on faith, because His ways and thoughts are too high, too wonderful, for me, but I hide in the shelter of His wings and trust Him even when I don’t understand. But He has given us what we need to know to be made right with Him and to live in holiness for His glory and to enjoy Him, and these things we need to learn and know and love. Praise God that He has given us His word and His Holy Spirit to instruct us as we study the Word and learn about Him as He has revealed Himself. That’s why I get so frustrated with the playing around kind of conversations. We tend to intentionally confuse the secret things with the revealed things, and that frustrates me. While there are things that we may not fully understand, we shouldn’t play around with the things that are revealed. These things we should study to show ourselves approved so that we can know our God as He has revealed Himself in His word and through His Son Jesus, the image of the invisible God. (Colossians 1:15). We must not be careless with the things He has revealed and given to us and to our children.

Deep and weighty thoughts for a 6-year-old and an 8-year-old on this Monday morning. Deep and weighty thoughts for their mom, too.

No comments: