Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What's On My Nightstand - January 2010


It's that time again at 5 Minutes for Books when we list the books we are currently reading (or just finished). Here's mine for this wintry cold January:

Just finished:
9 Dragons by Michael Connelly...one of my favorite authors, I have read everything I can get my hands on from his Detective Bosch series and all the others. The interesting thing is that all of his main characters, whether in the Bosch series or not are connected somehow, and I want to read them again in order, because not only is each book a good detective story in and of itself, it is interesting to watch the characters progress through their lives and see how their stories intersect with each other. Besides that, Mr. Connelly is a fellow University of Florida alumnus, though he finished there before I had even hit high school, and I think that is plain cool.

Currently reading:
Guardian of Lies by Steve Martini....another author I tend to like. His books are also best read in order, though each is a stand-alone story too, but I wish I'd read them in order since it is a series that follows defense attorney Paul Madriani through his career. I have not read Mr. Martini's work as voraciously as Mr. Connelly's, but I enjoy them just as well. Detective and courtroom fiction are probably my absolutely favorite type of fiction.

For Bible Study:
Hoping for Something Better by Nancy Guthrie.....I've already blogged some about this, and I'm sure there will be further posts as we continue our Tuesday morning Bible study. It's good! Today's discussion was excellent...I'm really glad this group of ladies gets to meet each week to learn together.

For Small Group Study:
Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss....I really cannot recommend this book highly enough. I wish every woman would read it with an open heart and hear the wisdom in it. I've blogged a little about it and our group will be continuing to work through it until the spring, so I'll probably say more along the way. Ms. DeMoss does a wonderful job of pointing out the many subtle ways we buy into the world's way of thinking and helps us to retrain our thinking biblically. It's good!

Up Next:
John Adams by David McCullough. Very much looking forward to reading this biography. An HBO miniseries was made from it, which I hear was excellent. I actually bought this book for Drew for Christmas, but he's a little backed up with his reading at the moment, so I think I'll borrow it from him for a while and read it myself.

That's my short list for now. Please check out 5 Minutes for Books and see what other people are reading.

3 comments:

Nise' said...

My mom keeps telling me I need to read Connelly's books. Loved John Adams, enjoy!

Melissa said...

I love Connelly and Martini also. And Nancy's book is awesome. I was just looking for it on my shelf the other day and couldn't find it. I must have lent it out! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Spence said...

I loved John Adams and would really like to see the miniseries! And, of course, you know how I feel about Hoping for Something Better!