Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Never Would Have Thought I'd Ever Have a Reason To Blog About "Barney"....

...but I was looking tonight for the VCR tape that I use to record a TV show D and I like to watch, but which, for various reasons, he’s missed the past few weeks and which comes on late enough that I can't always stay awake for the whole thing. I’ve got about 3 episodes on it, and I wanted to find the end of the last one and record another tonight right after it. Anyway, while running the tape up I stopped it and saw, rather than the show I thought I’d see, a big purple dinosaur named Barney. I thought, “Huh? When would I ever have taped Barney??”

I rewound and rewound and rewound and realized that not only Barney is on this tape but several hours of PBS Kids programs as well. I did finally get it wound back enough to find the end of last week’s episode of my show as I puzzled over how I ended up with hours of Elmo, Clifford and Barney after it.

Then I realized. After I recorded last week’s episode of my show, I left the tape in the VCR for a day or two until I got around to watching it. Boo has discovered the buttons on everything electronic in our house. She must have been doing her typical exploring the next morning and somehow managed to push the record button. Even if the TV wasn't on, the cable box was and it was still tuned to PBS from earlier that morning when the boys had watched something.

Considering that it took me a fair amount of hair-pulling frustration over reading the VCR manual for me to figure how to program the crazy thing to record my favorite programs, I think I can say that my little 13-month-old is probably the smartest baby in this house. (The fact that she’s the only baby in this house is beside the point.) I guess she just wanted to make sure she could have a Barney fix anytime she so desired.

Moral of the story: The most sure-fire way to have something bloggable happen in your life is to mention on your blog that you’d like to slow down on the blogging unless something bloggable happens. And while this may not be the most entertaining post I've ever written, I thought it was funny. Maybe you had to be here. Or maybe I'm just tired because Boo kept me up last night when the really loud, very scary thunder storm woke her up (and woke up our neurotic dog, Oliver, who cowered and paced around the house with his dog tags jingling until it was over, too.) Just thought I'd share.

No comments: