Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Confessions of a Novice Baker

With some little sadness, I must finally admit a bread-making set back with the untimely demise of Leroy, our sourdough starter. Due to my forgetfulness in feeding our friend Leroy, and the fact that I accidently put the sponge too close to a boiling pot, it never really "frothed" as it should yesterday, even though I left it overnight. I think the heat from the stove killed Leroy. In my sourdough ignorance, however, I went ahead this morning and tried to make a loaf with some optimism. Poorly placed optimism, it seems, for the dough is not rising. At all. Just a sad lump in the bowl.

So, sadly, Leroy has gone down the drain and I am trying again to make a new starter. I think we'll call this one Edward, after a somewhat famous ancestor on my husband's side of the family. See, I haven't given up optimism. I am confident I will figure out how to make good sourdough bread. It just may take me a long time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Leroy.

Rebekah said...

Thank you. I appreciate the condolences. :^)

Edward is progressing nicely. I used real King Arthur unbleached bread flour and a different recipe for this starter, and what a difference already! I have a feeling Leroy was never a quality starter now that I'm seeing the difference in this one. I'm learning....

Heather said...

Beck,
Check out king arthur flour's website. They sell some great sourdough starters and boosters that take it ot the next level.

Happy baking!
Heather