Friday, February 15, 2008

Miscellaneous Friday

I don’t really have much to say today, but I have been so neglectful of the blog lately, I thought I would just share some random things. When I was in creative writing class in high school, we used to have stream-of-consciousness writing exercises where we just wrote down whatever came to mind with no rhyme or reason then tried to pull something useful from the stream that we could use later to develop into a poem or story or whatever. This post is something like that - disjointed random things.

I’ve been doing some maintenance in my sidebar over the past several weeks. You may have noticed I have added a new link that looks like this:



Reflections Apparel and Gifts



I hope if you have not yet visited Carla Rolfe’s online store that you would please visit! She has lots of fun t-shirts and other stuff for sale, and I just ordered an adorable t-shirt for Boo and one for myself!

Also, I have added a link to Answers in Genesis that gives a new question each time my blog is loaded and you can link directly to the AiG site for the answer. I thought that was an interesting addition.

I also added a list of scripture I am working on memorizing - I hope that will help me to keep at it! And I put in the Bible reading I'm doing each day. This is a guide my church passed out last year, and I liked it so well I am using it again this year. Following the guide we can read through the whole Old Testament once (except Psalms and Proverbs which we read twice), the Gospels, Acts & Revelation twice, and the Epistles three times in a year. I'll try to keep that list updated each week in the sidebar if I can remember to do so.

I am currently reading a really good book that I would not have found had I not read about it on a fellow blogger’s site. Hello, Lisa! I checked out Peace Like a River by Leif Enger from the library this week and it is so hard to put it down when I’m wanting to keep on reading and find out more about these interesting characters. This is a very well-written and engaging story which is, so far for me, absolutely living up to the enthusiasm Lisa expressed, and reading it is one reason I don’t have much time for blogging right now!

I am so glad I started with Community Bible Study! I met with my Core Group for the first time yesterday, and I just have to say that I actually love having homework to keep me focused throughout the week. We are studying the book of Matthew together.

I am also in a study through my own church of the book of Colossians, so I’m trying to read through that book several times a week and really think about what I’m reading.

Lots of reading going on means not so much blogging, I suppose, but I have so needed this interaction with other women who also love to study and apply God’s word. I have needed that encouragement and accountability, so I’m soaking it up at the moment.

Also, I should have mentioned this a few weeks ago, but I added a new blog in my blogroll called “Rahab’s Thread.” This is a new group blog whose writers have a real desire to encourage women to study God’s word. If you have not yet visited, I hope you will soon.

Though I don’t blog about politics often, I just have a little comment to make: I sure am glad my hope is not in government and in who becomes president. Otherwise, things might be looking a little depressing out there. Okay, enough said on that one.

Oh, and I am still working to memorize Psalm 103, as Leslie has been encouraging her readers. It is really good to think first thing in the morning about blessing the Lord with all that is in me and to think on all His benefits. I am really enjoying working to memorize this passage! My oldest son knows I am working on it, too, and in the car the other night when I was helping him and his brother work on Psalm 1, which they are still learning, he said, “Hey, Mom!” and started reading Psalm 103 for me to quote along with him. We got as far as I have learned, and then he kept on reading to the end. Then he said, “You’re going to learn all that?” I said I sure am!

I would love to share the Valentine I wrote for our middle son as a parent’s homework assignment for his school, but I made a poem out of the letters of his name, and since I don’t use the kids’ names on the blog, I guess I can’t. It was cute, though, but you'll have to just take my word for it. I’m going to ask him for permission to share what he wrote for his part of the assignment, because it was very sweet.

Oh, and I gave little boxes of chocolate to each of the kids for Valentine’s Day yesterday. Boo has decided she really likes chocolate. Definitely like her momma! Anyway, she got into each of her brother’s little boxes this morning and took one bite out of a piece in each boy’s box. They are not amused with their little sister. I think that should teach them not to leave them on the table. It isn’t like they have not been told and told and told and told and told (you get the idea) not to use the table as their own personal storage place.

Tic Tac is still asking when I'll write his pirate story. I have to confess I haven't spent much (okay any) time on it lately. I've got to sit down and do it! I was sort of hoping he would forget, but he hasn't. His birthday is in April. I wonder if I can knuckle down and get something on paper for him before then.

I got my hair cut today. I am wanting to grow it longer, but I had to cut it to even out some of the layers. It turned out really cute! I just knew the woman who cuts my hair would laugh at me when I told her I wanted to try again to grow it out since I keep on giving up before we get it there, but she didn't. She did a really nice job on it, and I hope I can stick with it this time, at least long enough to see if I want to keep it long.

Boo is having spaghetti for lunch again, so I must be going as she is in the process of getting antsy -wouldn't want orange spaghetti to start flying around the kitchen. She thinks throwing food is an acceptable method of letting us know she is finished. We are in the process of teaching her it most definitely is NOT. And looking at the destruction she has wreaked upon her sleeves, I see that she will need to change clothes before nap time. Note to myself: Long sleeves and spaghetti are a bad combination for a 21 month old.

That’s all the randomness I can stand for now. Have a nice Friday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome to let your kids in on what you're memorizing in God's word!

Sunny said...

I love seeing the picture of Boo and hearing about the boys-we miss them! (and you, too) Will talk to you soon...