Sunday, October 21, 2007

I Didn't Get Much Sleep Last Night.....

And I feel like one of the biggest idiots on the face of the planet. Boo has been sick for the past two weeks, but I thought Friday night that she was finally better. However, between my stupid dog jingling around all night and Boo waking up miserable several times last night, it wasn't a good night. This morning she was screaming and I couldn't settle her, and I wondered if something was hurting somewhere and her temperature was back up to 99.7 after having been normal since Friday, and M woke up with a 102 fever and bad headache this morning. Obviously we weren't going to church today. When my inlaws came by to pick up J to take him to church with them, Boo was again screaming inconsolably and I got out the phone book, dialed the number for what I thought was our pediatrician's office, got the beeper number and called it. The doctor called back and Boo was screaming so much I couldn't hear everything he said and I missed that it was a Dr. F, NOT Dr. K who is our doctor, but I put Boo down and explained who I was and what was going on. He acted like he recognized the situation when I explained that we’d been in on Thursday with Boo. He said he'd see me at the office at 12:15.

I went to our office at 12:15. No one there. 30 minutes later, while I was trying to call the doctor again on my cell phone, the woman who cleans the office came up and said she could let me in. I told her I'd been waiting for 30 minutes. She called Dr. K and he talked to me and said he hadn't talked to me this morning. I asked who I talked to then, and he said it must be the doctor who was covering for them this weekend. I then explained what was going on with the kids and he told me to give them Motrin and bring them in tomorrow morning if they still had fevers. It was quite providential that this woman drove up right when I was wondering what I should do next. I believe that God is so very kind, in spite of my mistake!

When I got home there were two messages from Dr. F at the other pediatrician’s office! I had mistakenly called them instead of our pediatrician’s office because the phone numbers are right next to each other in the phone book and I was tired and panicky and had a screaming 17 month old and headachy 6 year old fussing in the background. He waited for 30 minutes and I never showed. I listened to the messages, swallowed pride, and called him back and apologized profusely and explained what I'd accidentally done in my frazzled state this morning. He was very nice about it and asked if the kids were okay and had I been able to get help. I'm glad he was so nice about it, because you know he's probably thinking I'm one of those people who make his job difficult and frustrating. I feel horrible about that, too. This is why I almost NEVER call the after hours numbers, by the way.

I feel like a DOPE! And now two local pediatricians know it, too! Thank You, Lord, for allowing the humbling of my self-sufficiency and perfectionism today.

But, both kids seem to be doing okay while the Motrin is in their system, and I think they'll be alright. They just have a mom who goofed very publicly today. My mother in law, who I just called in tears to tell her what was going on, says I need to laugh about this, so this post is my attempt to lighten up and quit fretting about it, and if you're laughing, well, okay then....

9 comments:

Carla Rolfe said...

It can be so hard to keep it together when your babies are sick. I hope they're feeling better very soon, and mom can get some sleep.
:-)

Anonymous said...

We are under the weather, too. I feel your pain.

How embarrassing about the doctors!

Anonymous said...

Making mistakes does not make you an idiot or a dope or stupid. Mistakes are just mistakes.

With all that you had going on, its a wonder you did as well as you did. You are being quite hard on yourself . . . would you think those same things if it had happened to someone else?

I hope you are able to get the rest you need and that your children heal quickly.

Rebekah said...

Thanks, Carla and Leslie. Now that some time has passed, I'm laughing about it. Leslie, I hope yours feel better soon, too!

Anonymous, thanks also. No, I would just think they made a mistake. Now that I've had a little breathing room and a calmer afternoon, I tweaked the language in the post. I felt that way at the time, that's what I meant to be saying.

Lisa Bolling said...

Listen sweetie - don't beat yourself up - you are a MOM with sick kids. It was an honest mistake any of us could have made. I pray everyone is much better very soon and you can get some deserved rest!

Blessings,
Lisa

Patriot said...

I think something is going around - so sorry about all the mix-ups!

I just came across your blog, and I wanted to let you know I'm hosting a free giveaway at my site this week. Come check it out when you get the chance!

Sunny said...

I sure hope that Boo and M are feeling better today! I can understand getting frazzled and making a mistake. Hopefully you'll be able to laugh about it at some point!

Lisa Spence said...

Hey, if those doctors have any complaints, let them walk a mile in your shoes! :-) We've all been there, that's for sure. Hang in there, girl, this too shall pass...

Heather said...

Mama said there'd be days like this....I'm glad you're laughing about it.

(((Hug)))