Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rest

Lisa at Lisa Writes…. has shared some searching words about prayer from John Piper. I’m glad she did. I’ve been thinking a lot about how self-centered my own prayers are far too often. I think many of us really don’t understand what a serious and incredible privilege prayer is and how to really pray and what kinds of things we should be focusing on when we pray. Good words, and may my own praying be changed to be in line with God’s will and His desires! May my joy be found in Christ alone.

Something I saw this morning was interesting. This article talks about a sleep study that has shown a link between sleep deprivation and emotional overreactions. Duh. I could have told them that one. Read my last post for evidence! Anyway, ignoring the evolutionary biology biases in the article, I do think there is definitely something to be said for making every effort to get a healthy amount of sleep. I’m not talking about being lazy, by any means, but just being purposeful in the kinds of decisions we make with our time. I, for one, know that much of my temptation to give in to emotional melt-downs is heightened to a large degree when I’m tired. We moms will have many sleep-deprived nights that are beyond our control, granted. That’s part of being a mom when kids are sick or nightmares hit them or any number of things. But, knowing that’s the case, I’m a wise mom if I recognize my own tendency to overreact when tired and learn to deny myself that late night blogging session or time spent watching a brainless TV show or playing just a little bit longer on that stupid PlayStation game I found myself addicted to (what a waste of time that is when I let it eat up time better spent elsewhere!) or whatever because I want some “me” time. God created our bodies and we’re wise to take care of them so we can be better able to face the day each day and be a woman who honors Him.

And, to tie the two things together, it is pretty hard to have focused and meaningful prayer time when I’m so tired I fall asleep halfway through my prayers. If I want to learn better how to pray, I’m wise to get the rest my body and mind are screaming for. Because there are times I have a shamefully prayerless life, and it shows. I’m speaking from real time experience at the moment. It’s looking like I may have caught the virus Boo had and then passed to M, who is finally beginning to feel some better today. I’m feeling crummy and tired, and my husband is still away doing his Army stuff, though we are finally down to counting the hours until his return. I think he’ll be home tomorrow night. Anyway, while reading some of Our Covenant God today I was really reminded of the power and comfort of knowing God is my covenant friend. Friend is a covenant word full of meaning that has been stripped away by our casual use of the word ‘friend’ in our culture. But today, while rocking Boo and feeling like my head is on fire, I was thanking God that He truly is my covenant friend, and I am not alone in this. His grace is sufficient even when fever rages and I’m so tired I just want to go to bed but can’t. And because His love is so great and vast and true, I want to live for His glory, even in this. Even today. Because He is my covenant Friend, I can pray and should pray and line up my will with His. What a privilege to take everything to Him in prayer and to learn to love the things He loves and long for them as the deer pants for the water! Praise Jesus He is our greatest Friend and Lover of our souls.

You know, in 1 Kings 19, when Elijah was running from Jezebel, after that great victory on Mount Carmel against the prophets of Baal, he was despairing and depressed and felt he was the only one left who served the Lord. But God sustained him and gave him the rest and refreshing he needed and the angel acknowledged he needed it because the journey was too much for him. But God gave him strength to go on. And I’m trusting Him to give me the strength, too.

No comments: