Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Seize the Day

Have you ever had one of those days where nothing seems to go right? I am not talking about anything major in and of itself but a whole bunch of little things that by themselves are simple and not really a big deal at all but taken all together over the course of a day or two can reduce you to a heap of tears in the floor by the time the last one happens. And even while you’re in the floor crying, you know it isn’t really the fact that the baby pulled your diet cherry Coke, which you had so been looking forward to enjoying, over into the floor by grabbing the straw while you were putting it on the counter after coming in from dealing with one of those things that has gone wrong that has you in a heap. It’s all the other stuff and the fact that your husband is gone doing Army stuff, again, and everything seems to break or malfunction when he’s gone, and it is just exhausting doing the single parent thing again. (Apparently, I spoke too soon about the car the other day.) And then you can throw into the emotional mix that there are some other things that have been weighing on your heart for months that you are struggling with making the best decision over, too, though you know that husband will be home soon to help with that one, Lord willing, but it is hard because there is no one you can talk to about it here. And you just feel like you can’t do one more day like this, but you know you have to because, well, you’re the adult. So, you sit in the floor and scream at nobody for a minute about how much you hate the Army, making sure the baby is safely playing before doing so, mind you, and you pray for the grace and strength to remember that not one of the things by themselves is a really big deal and to remember that He is in control and you belong to Him and please, God, help me to glorify You even in this today while I’m feeling like I cannot do it one more minute by myself. And you are not by yourself, because He is God, He is Lord, and His peace surpasses all understanding and through your tears you start to quote Psalms that say, “I will bless the Lord at ALL times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth.” And you realize prayer should have been your first response, not the screaming, so you repent of that, too. So, you get up out of the floor, wipe your tears, hug your sweet baby who is still happily playing with the Tupperware, totally oblivious to your minor meltdown, and you clean up the mess in the floor. Then you blog about it.

I’m having one of those days.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

Here's a hug! :-) I think God understands when we have a meltdown every once in a while. He's always there-before, during, and after the meltdown! I hope that the day gets better for you, and know that we're praying for you.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Oh...sending hugs your way!!! But, doesn't it feel good...after the meltdown...at least a little??

I wanted to send you over to my blog...I've blessed you with an award..that come's STRAIGHT from my heart to yours.

You are such a blessing...and encouragement to me!!
Kim~

Lisa Spence said...

Just come on over and we can sit on my porch and chat...

Okay, so we can't, but wouldn't it be great if we could?

Praying God meets you right there in the kitchen floor with His love and His grace big enough to cover even days just like today...

Heather said...

(((Hug))).

I'm sure you're counting the days until Drew gets home.

His grace is enough. Even when it doesn't seem so.

Love,
Heather

Lisa Hellier said...

Seize the day for the Lord has made it, and you did! Even on a sticky kitchen floor He reveals Himself to us. May His sufficiency sustain you to the fullest measure.