Friday, January 23, 2009

Sad, But Not Surprised

Predictable, not surprising, but depressing nonetheless.

Here's why. That was part one of a sermon Al Mohler preached. I'll be looking forward to reading part two. Two totally incompatible worldviews are battling in the abortion "issue." If you want to call life and death merely an "issue," that is.

One of the most telling things I heard in all the media coverage of the inauguration and afterward was a glowing comment by an actress from the show Desperate Housewives (not a show I watch, and forgive me, but I don't know the actress and can't remember her name right now) about how hopefully women will finally now have the chance to have unlimited access to abortion. I just don't understand that mindset. The breathless joy that women would be able to have unlimited access to abortions. Can't we even, at the very least, agree that this is such a weighty subject that there ought to be at least some limitations? Why is having children seen as a negative in our culture? And I know the arguments about extreme cases and what not, but, face it, abortion is the taking of a human life, not a cause for joy. And I'm really tired of the euphemism "family planning."

That does not negate what I said about praying for our leaders, though. I don't agree with many things certain politicians stand for, but we do need to continue to pray for wisdom, compassion and leadership that will err on the side of righteousness. But praying for our leaders does not mean praying that that they will have success in all that they endeavor to do. Sometimes we need to pray for mercy and that perhaps hearts may be softened, and for wisdom to live as good citizens and lights for truth no matter what our government may or may not do.

2 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I too struggle with how others can even consider taking a human life cause for celebration.
Your last two sentences are a great point!

jen said...

I spent some time posting comments at a woman's blog where she was literally celebrating the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. It was heartbreaking. I gently but firmly shared the truth about abortion -- they called me a loon.

They just won't be able to see it unless God opens their spiritual eyes.