Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pardon?

Yesterday afternoon someone came around the neighborhood selling frozen boxed steaks. I don't typically buy from door-to-door salesmen (except the one time I did get talked into the Kirby vacuum, but that really was worth it.....), and we very rarely eat steak anyway. Besides the fact that I saw no truck, didn't catch the name of his company and am not sure I trust his beef anyway, I can't stand being manipulated with sales come-ons and we're not exactly rolling in cash at the moment, so salesmen don't fare real well with me.

Anyway. When I stepped back in the house after talking to him, J. asked me what he had wanted.

I said, "He's selling steaks, but we don't want any right now."
J. said, "You mean you can buy South Carolina or Georgia or Hawaii?"

I looked at him blankly for a moment and just blinked at him a couple of times.

Then I said, "OH! Not STATES, honey. STEAKS. With a K."

Hee, Hee. Wonder how much Hawaii's going for these days. Sometimes I think I could use a private island getaway......

3 comments:

Elle said...

That's one for the books! Giggles over what those kids are thinking!

Anonymous said...

Stories like this are always great. My 3-year-old son said to me the other day, "If we go to Grandma's house, we have to go to Bogganese." I thought, "Bogganese?" What's THAT? I talked with him about it for awhile and finally I realized that, whenever we go tobagganing, it's at the hill beside Grandma's house. Whenever we said, "We're going tobagganing," he thought we were saying, "We're going to Bogganese." HA! I love it!

Walls Down Church Kids said...

great one! love kids' perspectives!