Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I Love My Husband

Jude 24-25

“Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
To God our Savior,
Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty,
Dominion and power,
Both now and forever.
Amen.”

When I graduated from high school, I was asked to give a testimony before my church. I am not a public speaker, by the way. (In fact, even knowing that someone other than my family is reading this blog is enough to cause me to feel a little sick to my stomach every now and then and wonder why in the world I started this thing!) I ended up as salutatorian of my high school graduating class, and when the announcement was made over the intercom, I panicked. First of all, I had no idea I was up there in the rankings, I just went about my business studying and doing my best, so it was a shock. But, rather than feeling pleased I had done so well, I was terrified that I’d have to give a speech at graduation. This fear consumed me for a few days until we learned that the two girls who had been named co-valedictorians would give the speeches. So, anyway, when my very large church asked me to give a testimony, it wasn’t as nerve-wracking as it would have been at the graduation ceremony, but my knees were shaky nonetheless.

I don’t really remember all that I said that morning. I do remember that I’d been dealing with lots and lots of my peers and adults around me who were questioning my decision to go off to the University of Florida the next fall. In fact, one person said I was going to a “brothel,” and how would I ever maintain my faith in such a heathen place, one of the top party schools in the nation? I remember thinking that I could have been a partier in high school if I’d wanted it – most of the kids in the “homecoming” crowd were drunk almost every weekend at some party or another, so, if I had no desire to be part of that crowd while still at home, why would I change once I left? I do know I used the text from Jude 24-25 to express my faith and trust that God would protect me and cause me to stand, even in the midst of temptation. And He did. It wasn’t any more difficult for me to stay away from the party scene in college than it had been at home, because I’d already dedicated myself to my Savior.

But, I was pretty naïve back then, too. I wasn’t always the wisest in choosing who to date, but even in that area, God spared me from my own stupidity. I believe that is because I truly wanted to live for Him, though, in my pride I really thought I had it all together. Looking back, I can see His hand of grace gently leading me and protecting me from dumb decisions.

Why am I thinking about this today? Well, I’m thinking about my husband, the man I dearly love and am so thankful I met in church one day back when I was a junior in college. One day just recently I was thinking how incredible it is that, even though I was really naïve and not thinking seriously about some things that I think are incredibly important today, God put me with just the right guy. Even though my own faith wasn’t as fully developed as I thought it was at the time, God saw fit to bring together two people who did love Him and were, even then, committed to living for Him, though I think both of us were probably a little more worldly than we would have admitted at the time. I remember thinking one time how grateful I am that I did not wake up one day a few years after marriage and say, “Who is this person I married?” No, God in His mysterious, matchless, infinite grace has led us both together in the same direction toward Him.

My husband is a man who is growing in grace. It’s such a blessing to be able to talk to him about God’s doctrines of grace and to be on the same page, so to speak. I love hearing him teach the boys scripture verses and talk to them about what they mean. Though we both have a ways to go on being more consistent there, too, I’m thankful he is wanting to improve with me. I’m always blessed when I hear him teach in Sunday school, and last week when we had a special children’s lesson I was blessed again to hear him with the kids at church.

On the lighter side, he likes to watch Discovery Channel programs on archeological discoveries with me. And he watches LOST with me, even though I "Beckitate" all through it because the mysteries are driving me nuts. I'm telling you, he puts up with a lot!

My husband is also a very kind man. This is a blessing I didn’t really know to look for way back when I was in my 20’s. He is patient, and he bears with all my weirdness. I am not an easy person to live with, but he does it with such patience. And he teaches me so much when I watch him discipline the boys in love with patience. He's such a good dad! He really loves our kids, and he plays with them and lets them know he loves them. And he brings me diet cherry Cokes from Sonic for no reason. How cool is that? And when we suffered our first 2 miscarriages, he cried along with me and took care of the boys when I was loopy from the anesthesia from those hated surgeries as a result. He also, very quietly when I wasn't looking, put away the maternity clothes we had just gotten down from the attic, because he somehow knew how painful it would have been for me to deal with them right then. And he cried long distance with me during that third one when he was in Kuwait. How hard that must have been for him.

So, today, on Valentine’s day, I’m thanking my God for the man He brought into my life that January 15 years ago. I’m not saying either of us would say every single day has been bliss. No, we have ups and downs, like any couple might. But we made a covenant with each other and with God in front of lots of witnesses that we would love, honor and cherish each other until death parts us. And we hold that covenant dear. I love you, D., and I thank our Lord for the home He has granted us together. And I am so thankful that Jesus has kept us from stumbling and is ever leading us to grow in His grace together.

2 comments:

Elle said...

Very sweet, Rebekah. I perfectly agree with your words on how God in His grace grants us greater blessings than we deserve through our husbands. My own story is very similar. My husband is God's gift to me, and I thank Him every day for His provision and kindness.

Rick Frueh said...

And I echo your words about my wife of 28 years. But about the Salutatorian thing, well, I was on the other side of the tracks. But God's grace has brought us all together!