Saturday, February 17, 2007

Some Random Thoughts on an Early Saturday Morning

What is it about babies and dog food bowls? Every one of my children has been fascinated by Oliver’s bowl. It happens when they learn to crawl. Boo has learned to crawl over the past couple of weeks. She’s so cute – it is a kind of commando crawl where she pulls herself along with her arms, and she’s getting very fast. I can place ten of her toys around the floor, and what does she seek out like a guided missile, consistently? Oliver’s nasty toy duck. Then she makes her way to his bowls. I am constantly pulling her away from the food bowl and wiping dog food off her little hands. We can’t put up the bowls anywhere else, either, because then the dog can’t get to them. The other day she was soaked before we could get to her because she’d tipped the water bowl all over herself. Sigh.

And J is funny, too. Last night I let the boys stay up to watch a movie since D was out of town and it was Friday, and, let’s face it, I was hoping if they stayed up late they would sleep in on Saturday. Smile!! (Yep, there was a definite ulterior mommy motive, but it didn’t work; they were up earlier than any school morning.) Anyway, as they were on their way upstairs, Monk came on the TV. (Remember, Monk is J’s nickname….) J grinned really big and said, “I know that song. I hear it when you and Daddy watch TV. It’s from Monk. I have my own song!” And he danced away up the stairs while I fell over laughing.

Not to leave out M, the poor little guy gets so tired. He told me last night his eyelids were shocking (???) him whenever he closed them. I said it was because he was overtired so he needed to go to sleep. Oh, no, he said, “No, it’s because they don’t like to be closed.” Hmmm. I’ve never known eyes that didn’t like to be closed. I’m always pretty happy when I can get a good night’s sleep, but my son’s eyes don’t like to be closed, and my daughter still doesn’t like naps and wakes up at 6am or so every morning. Funny!

By the way, my husband told me once when reading the blog that the way I use initials for everyone’s names reminds him of the movie Men In Black. Yep, we’re just a bunch of alien monitoring agents around here.

I’ve decided it’s time to get serious about losing 25 pounds. Boo is 9 months old and no longer nursing. I have no more excuses to not get busy. I’ve given up my YMCA membership because I can exercise at the hospital fitness center where hubby is a director of cardiac rehab – we’re already payroll deducting the fee, so why pay the Y just to get childcare when I can’t take Boo most of the time anyway? My mother-in-law said she will watch Boo a few mornings a week to help with the cause. Isn’t that nice?

Well, since I’ve told on every other member of the family, might as well give a report on the dog, too. Oliver got to see the groomer yesterday – after about 2 ½ or 3 months of not being groomed. Have you ever seen a mini schnauzer that’s really, really shaggy? They don’t shed, their fur mats. He was looking (and smelling) pretty bad. But now he looks mighty sleek, especially when he lies with his front paws straight in front like the Sphinx. I’d put up a picture, but, sadly, our camera finally died. We’ll be shopping for a new one soon, because I’m having picture withdrawal.


***Okay, I decided to update and add this picture D took a couple of weeks ago: This is me (with inbetween-trying to grow it long hair) and Oliver (looking shaggy, but not as shaggy as he was yesterday morning). That may be all the pictures I'll be able to share for a while until we find a new camera!***


That’s all the boring, mundane details I care to share this morning. Have a relaxing Saturday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our son, John, also had a fascination with the dog bowl.

We didn't have a dog when he was little (he's 25 now!) but both sets of grandparents did. When he was crawling dog dishes were always ground zero.

When he was old enough to talk (he was one of those brilliant first borns who talked early and often with an amazing vocabulary) He announced (he was always announcing)

"I tasted Dolly's food. It was not delicious."

Rebekah said...

Oh, that's funny! Thanks for sharing that!

Heather said...

Everyone is so BIG....your M was just a baby last time I saw you (sigh...).

PS. I'm Totally jealous of your "shaggy" look right now...I think I'd cut off a body part to have some hair, LOL.

I'll pray for discipline on the 25 lb thing...I had finally gotten to "fighting weight" when M was about 17 months old, but had to quit WW and exercise classes when all of the drama imparted.

You CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens you!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Crawling baby + dog food bowl = ewwwww! We had a min. schnauzer when I was a young girl. I know that Sphinx pose!

Elle said...

Love seeing the picture! My youngest was particularly keen on the dog bowls. When he spilled the water bowl all over the floor, day after day, I thought I would lose my mind!