Monday, February 12, 2007

Valentines For Our Little Boys

At the school my kids attend, the teachers all go through a writing program to be certified to teach a certain writing curriculum, and the school really stresses writing in all areas of learning. As you walk through the halls, each class has examples of the students’ creative writing up on the walls, and even the “specials” classes like art, music, and science lab will display writing throughout the year. As someone who enjoys writing (hence the blog addiction), I love walking the boys into school each day and seeing the various writing projects as they change through the year.

Once in a while, the teachers send home homework for the parents to write something to be posted on the wall along with something our child has written. Whenever I see some special stationary come home, I know what’s coming. Well, for Valentine’s Day, the kindergarten students have written something for their parents, and we were asked over the weekend to write a note/poem/etc. for our child and send it in on the pretty pink paper that was supplied. It is all I can do not to share what I wrote for M., but since I made a hokey little poem out of the letters in his real name, and I don’t use my kids’ real names on the blog, I won’t share that part. I’ll just share the note I wrote him under the poem. We also did this for J. a couple of years ago, and I’ll share his note part, too.

Though my high school writing teacher was anti-schmaltz in our writing, I think it is just fine to use schmaltz when given a chance to edify my kids! So, here’s what I wrote for my boys. (Too bad I can’t share the dorky poems, but, trust me, it made the boys smile, and that’s what counts!)

Dear M.,
God gave us a precious gift when you were born. You add so much joy to our family. We love your laugh and watching you dress up in funny costumes. Your imagination is so much fun. We are enjoying watching you grow and mature, and you are a great brother to J. and R. You are the most “shareful” kid I’ve ever known, and you make my heart smile! We love you, Tic Tac!
Love,
Mommy & Daddy

Dear J.,
You are our very special first-born son, and we are so glad you’re part of our family. Your happy smile lights up a room, and we love being your mom and dad. You make us proud in so many ways, and we’re enjoying watching you grow and learn and mature. You are such an honest kid, and it’s exciting to see your mind at work. We are also proud of the way you are a good big brother to M., who really looks up to you, even when you don’t realize it. God truly blessed us when you entered our life.
Love,
Mommy & Daddy


I’m really glad the school gave us the opportunity to write out a love note to our kids. It’s also a convicting reminder to voice my love for them more often. When we get all caught up in the every day stuff, sometimes I find I spend so much time correcting, correcting, correcting, that I forget to balance it with verbal affirmation of what they do right! And that’s something I want to remember to do more – learn to edify, even when correction is needed.

1 comment:

Elle said...

This was a timely reminder for me, today when things did not go as I liked them to, but all was in God's plan. As His Word reminds me of His love for me, so should my words remind my boys.