Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Abiding Joy

Psalm 139:1-6
“O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.
You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.”

Psalm 139:23-24
“Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.”

Faith is not just some exercise of practicing positive thinking and trying to make myself feel a false happiness all the time. Faith is placing my absolute trust in Who God is. By reading His Word, I learn of His character. He is absolutely sovereign. He is absolutely trustworthy.

How comforting, and yet sobering it is to know that He knows my very thoughts. He knows everything about me. And, knowing what a worm I am, He has still chosen me to belong to Him. Amazing, incomprehensibly awe-inspiring love. There was nothing lovable in me, yet Jesus, for the joy set before Him, endured the cross and is now seated at the right hand of the Father, interceding for His own. He hedges me behind and before – His protection is real. Nothing happens by chance. Whatever trial or joy I face, it all works together for my good and for His glory. Such knowledge is wonderful; I cannot fully comprehend.

How comforting, and yet sobering it is to know that He searches my heart and knows it. He knows my anxieties – and He is the Prince of Peace. By grace, through faith in Christ I have shalom – peace, reconciliation – with holy, almighty, righteous God. He tries me and sees if there is any wicked way in me, and leads me to real repentance that I may walk in the way everlasting.

Knowing this produces abiding joy – even when surface feelings aren’t all that happy each and every moment. Underneath all the surface and false emotions there is still the abiding joy that God is my Father.

Jesus is the first and last, author and finisher of our faith. He is worthy of praise. Praise Him!

Thank You, Lord, for Your word, that I may know Who You are. The blood of Jesus is precious, for by it You have redeemed me and cleansed me and reconciled me to Yourself. Lord Jesus, You are the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but through You. Thank You for opening my eyes and quickening my heart to know this truth. This is the hope that anchors the soul. Keep my eyes ever fixed on You alone, that I may walk in the way everlasting and be a light to point others to You. Be glorified, Lord. You are high and lifted up.

No comments: