Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thoughts From This Morning

My dad gave us a CD of The Baptist Catechism set to music that he had gotten from Founders Ministries. We started using it with the boys a little over a year ago, but stopped because, at the time, it seemed that the words were a little over their head. We thought maybe it would be better to use something simpler for now and use the music one when they were a little older.

Well, both boys have been asking recently why they can’t keep learning with “that CD that had the questions and the songs, remember?” So, we’ve started using it again. We’ll keep on with the simpler catechism we had been using, (and which I feel so guilty that we’ve shamefully neglected the past couple of weeks, but are back on track again), and we’ll just be very careful to explain what the questions and answers mean on their level and look up the scripture references with them, too. That’s what we parents are supposed to be doing anyway!

I’m amazed at how involved both boys are with these simple little songs. This morning before school we reviewed the first few questions and ended up having a pretty in depth conversation that I can’t imagine we would have had any other way. I know we are to be teaching them the truth, but I think we’ve been too lax lately, so I’m really glad to get this going regularly again. Imagine, God put it on the boys’ hearts to spur us back to what we’re supposed to be doing with them. Out of the mouths of babes…..

I know, some who read this come from a more confessional background and you probably think, well, duh, of course sound, biblical catechisms are good tools. But I come from the non-creedal SBC background, so this is all refreshingly new for me. I love that the boys are learning these things – and even if some of the wordings are too mature for them now, they won’t always be, and we will have had some good teaching moments all along the way. I like how it focuses my own thinking to dig deeper when I work to explain the doctrines to them in a way they can understand.

As I would say to my husband, prepare for a whiplash, I’m changing topics abruptly now. He likes to be prepared when I’m in one of my stream-of-consciousness modes of talking.

Anyway, I was listening to a preacher on the radio this morning as I was out running errands. This man is pastor of a local church, and very much loves the Word of God and preaches strongly. I have been very edified by his recent series on the book of Daniel. I noticed, however, at the end of his sermon when he was giving a solid Gospel invitation, that he inserted a phrase I have heard preachers say all my life, and I got to thinking about it. He said, “Now, God will never force Himself on anyone.” Then he proceeded.

I wonder why we feel the need to insert that little phrase? Isn’t it enough to preach the Gospel soundly and wait for God to move in people’s hearts? I know they say it as a way of emphasizing the urgency of committing our lives to Christ, but it seems a little strange to me all of a sudden. I would think that when God has quickened someone’s heart and they truly understand the depth of their sin and depravity and their total helplessness before holy God, and the fact that there is coming a certain judgment, that fear of God somehow forcing Himself upon them would not be a concern for them. When the Holy Spirit has awakened someone to the crushing burden of sin that they carry, then Jesus’ invitation to, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest,”(Matt. 11:28) will not seem like He is forcing Himself upon them, but it will be seen as the refreshing Living Water that their soul longs for. It seems to me that the response would be like the people at Pentecost, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” followed by heartfelt repentance. When they asked that, Peter didn’t then say, “Now, God will never force Himself on you, but….” No, he said, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord will call.” (Acts 2:38) The natural man cannot understand the things of God, so, while the invitation is made by the preacher to everyone, the ones who respond to a Gospel invitation are those whom God is quickening and granting understanding. So, it seems a bit absurd to me to add in that phrase that God will not force Himself on anyone. Just a thought……

Then John MacArthur came on and I heard him preach this sermon. Good stuff…..

Enjoy your Thurday!

1 comment:

Diane said...

I've considered getting that CD myself. We have two of Judy Roger's CD's, Why Can't I See God, which is based on the WCF, and another called Go to the Ant. Both of them are very good, but I'm a Reformed Baptist and would enjoy the one you mentioned too.