Sunday, April 15, 2007

Someone Please Stop the Room From Spinning, I'm Ready to Get Off Now

Well, it turns out those broken plans for traveling this weekend are probably a really good thing. Boo woke up the morning we were supposed to leave with a nasty cold and I woke up the same day with fluid on my ear that caused me to have trouble hearing and I was slightly dizzy once in a while. I was planning to call the doctor Monday if it hadn't improved by then. I talked to Grandma that same day, and she was feeling under the weather, too. Plus there’s a huge storm system coming through which would have made driving miserable.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, I woke up about 4AM today so dizzy I couldn’t even move. That fluid in my ear must have begun to affect my inner ear and balance system. The dizziness made me so nauseous I was miserable every time I even slightly moved my head. Early this morning, when Boo started making pre-wake up noises, I stumbled, crawled to the phone and called my mother-in-law and begged her to come help, because I knew there was no way I could pick up the baby and get her fed this morning. Then I stumbled, crawled to the front door and unlocked it for her and went back to bed. She very kindly came over and took care of Boo and the boys this morning, and my father-in-law came by later to take the boys to Sunday School and church.

By the time my father-in-law got here, I was feeling better enough that I could get out of bed and stand up without feeling like the whole world was spinning out of control. As I got up and moving a little, I was able to manage better, and I called my on-call physician who has called in a prescription for anti-vertigo medicine for me. He’s pretty sure I have a virus in my inner ear. So, I’ll be calling the office first thing tomorrow morning to be seen, that’s for sure. Of course this happens when D is away. I’m not sure how I would have managed without his kind parents this morning! One more reason I’m glad they decided to retire down here, and D will be home tonight.

Anyway, I’m doing some better now, though bouts of dizziness keep causing me to just sit and wait for them to pass, but they aren’t as bad as first thing this morning. I was wondering at first if I am just extra sensitive to this storm front that’s passing through – it’s a whopper and it’s all over the news, but I think there’s more going on here than just sinus pressure, though that isn’t helping. I made the mistake once a few years ago of flying while I had an earache (and boy, was I in agony by the time the plane landed), and ever since then sinus problems and colds seem to affect me more in my inner ear. I told my mother-in-law I thought I was okay enough now for her to go on to church, and she will be back with my medicine shortly after the service is over. At least I’ve had some good, quality, quiet time to read my Bible and pray this morning, but I would have really liked to have been at church.

I think I’ll just go sit on the couch now and watch Boo crawl around and move very, very slowly when I have to move.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! R, I'm lifting you in prayer right this minute and will keep right on doing so! Wish I could come over and help you out but that's bit of a fur piece to travel...hang in there, friend!

Kim said...

This happened to me about 2 weeks ago...right before getting sick...I thought it was allergy related...but I am not sure. I woke up in the middle of the night and ran into the wall...went straight back to bed and felt dizzy and nauseated the next day...it was yucky!

I'm praying you are feeling better!

Kim