Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Status Report August 2009

Sitting: In my living room/dining room, where I always am when I’m on the computer.

Drinking/eating: Nothing right now. Just finished breakfast – Frosted Mini-Wheats and coffee. Probably going to get some iced sweet tea with lemon when I finish this post.

Listening: To three rowdy children loudly playing. Wondering how long until the loudness becomes yelling and fighting. It’s a fine line most days. As an aside, can I just mention that if I hear, “Mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-m!!!!!” one more time I might just explode. And it’s not even 9AM yet. And it didn’t even take until I finished typing this……now I’m listening to a 3-year-old scream, “It’s mine, it’s mine!” at her brothers who are trying to play a game with a ball that is not hers.

Weary: Of LEGOs, LEGOs everywhere. How many times a day can you say, “Boys, get the LEGOs off the table”? I’m thinking that if they can’t follow the “LEGOs stay downstairs” rule, then maybe I need to just start collecting any LEGOs I find anywhere other than downstairs and they will “go away” for a while. Probably a long while. I’m tired of stepping on them, hearing them clank into the vacuum and having to work around them on my table and kitchen counter. LEGOs are evil, I tell you, evil.

Hoping: To enjoy these final days of summer vacation before school starts on Monday. Meet the teacher is Friday night.

Wondering: If I will get any mail from the school telling me what teachers we’ll be meeting or if we are just to show up on Friday night and find out then. We weren’t here last fall, so I don’t know how this school does it. I do know that my personality type would deal with the transition a lot better if I were to have a letter in hand this week…..

Thankful: So far I have not had my sleep interrupted by my usual back-to-school nightmares.

Trying: Not to think too much about the direction our country seems to be heading.

Asking: Why is it that no matter how early I try to get up so I can have a few minutes of quiet to read my Bible and pray in the morning, Boo gets up just as early?

Woke up: At 5:30 this morning. On purpose. When I got out of the shower, there was Boo standing outside the day saying, “Good morning, Mama.”

Feeling guilty: Was it wrong to feel just a little bit disappointed to see that cute little face wishing me good morning at just under 6AM today? I love her, I do, but I was so looking forward to a few minutes of quiet today before starting the day.

Read: My Bible this morning while Boo colored a picture of a ferris wheel and talked to herself happily.

Reading: Three books going simultaneously these days:
- Hoping for Something Better by Nancy Guthrie. Just finished Chapter 3 and am really enjoying this study of the book of Hebrews. In fact, the reason I’m trying to get up earlier is because I’m wanting more time to study.
- The Ultimate Proof of Creation by Jason Lisle, PhD in astrophysics. Rather an audacious title, it might seem…..but I’m liking it.
- Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. My current fiction selection, I’m enjoying this last of the Inkheart trilogy.

Reading with the boys: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. We were reading The Fellowship of the Ring, but I needed a break. That one is just hard to read aloud, I found.

Seeing: Light at the end of the potty-training tunnel. Granted the end still seems a way off, but Boo finally seems to be getting it. Not a moment too soon for this queasy mommy - I actually lost my breakfast yesterday while cleaning up an unfortunate potty mess. Good thing I was already in the bathroom.

Not: As bummed as this post makes me sound. Didn’t mean to seem down. It’s really not a bad morning. Just not what I’d intended. And that’s okay.

Time: To get to it today.

Happy Tuesday.

3 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Weary of Lego's?! C'mon now - I'm getting pumped about experiencing "boy toys" like Lego's w/ my little man on the way (sooo ready for something besides princesses and pink!) Don't burst my dreams ;)

Rebekah said...

Legos are great as long as you can keep them organized and contained. They really, really hurt when you step on them with bare feet, though. Really. I'm sure you all will have tons of fun with yours! :-)

Lisa Spence said...

Love it!

I live with two Lego maniacs and I totally get the Lego frustration. Plus, whatever kit they build generally breaks (it's legos, after all) and somebody gets mad and a part gets lost and...

You know of what I speak!