Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thoughts From Today

During the sermon today, my pastor said this: “God does not promise to give us everything we want, but He does promise to supply what we really need as His servants.”

We were looking at 1 Kings 17:12-16 this morning and talking about how the human predicament is hopeless unless God intervenes.

Pastor also talked about how God’s purpose for us is to be conformed to the image of His dear Son. We best experience His provision when we participate obediently in His plan for our life. He also said that God’s plan for us may very well involve things we see as difficulties – sickness, loss of job, etc. The reason is that His purpose is to conform us into the image of His Son, to draw us close to Him, to teach us to depend upon Him completely.

His provision is designed to be enjoyed daily with no fear of its depletion. He gives the strength we need for today. Enjoy the day. My first priority in this life is not to be myself, my comfort, the American dream. My first priority in life is to live for Him. This is not an easy teaching.

This goes totally against the health/wealth/best life now/feelings-oriented type of teaching you hear on TV these days, doesn’t it?

The choir sang a version of “How Great Thou Art” today, and when we got to the verse about when Christ shall come with shout of acclamation…..I just about couldn’t sing anymore. I just got to thinking about bowing before Him, in His presence and proclaiming, “My God, how great Thou art.” I don’t want to waste the life I’m given here by being consumed with things that don’t matter. I want to live a life that matters for His Kingdom. I am very convicted about how much time I waste. I want to pursue the joy of living a life that is faithful to my King.

It was good to be with God’s people today.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Amen to all!

Laura said...

That hymn gets me too.
I am a chief time-waster and appreciate the encouragement!