Tuesday, August 21, 2007

And They're Back

The boys went back to school yesterday. Poor J is so much like me. I try very hard not to let the boys know about my back to school anxiety. Sure I shared it here on the blog, but I try not to share it with them. But J’s a lot like me. He can know all the right things and know that it’s going to be fine and that he actually really likes being there, but those anxious feelings are in the pit of his stomach anyhow. I can relate, son, really and truly, I can. Anyway, J had a hard time eating breakfast yesterday, but he braved it out and went anyway with no complaints. I’m proud of him.

Boo and I had a very quiet morning together, and I really think she misses her big “brubbies.” She was a little cranky and out of sorts, and I think she misses the noise and rowdiness her brothers bring to her day. When they came home in the afternoon, she was wired and ready to play with them. It was really cute. She just loves her big brothers.

When the boys got in the car after my 30 minute wait in car line (I’ve never had a 30 minute wait in car line before, where did all these people come from?), both were beaming. It’s going to be a good year, and J is happy to be back with his teacher and friends and getting into the routine again. And M is thrilled that all the first grade classes go to recess at the same time so his buddies who didn’t end up in the same class this year are on the playground with him. Hooray!

I took them to Sonic after school for a treat. I told them they could have a slush or a soda, whatever they wanted. You know what they both requested? Diet Coke with Vanilla. Go figure. They are their mommy’s boys.

M showed me something he had colored and written at school once we got home. Remember how I complained that his kindergarten teacher was convinced that he didn’t have the fine motor skills to write and color well last year? And I kept realizing that he has them, he just doesn’t see the need or point to color neatly or write in the lines. Well, these papers he showed me were excellent. I said, “M., you did such a nice job on these. I’m so proud of you!” He beamed and said, “Yes, I didn’t want my new teacher to be upset that I couldn’t do it.” Sweet.

I don’t have a deep theological truth to garner from all this, but I am thankful for the blessing of two boys who are smart and ready to learn, and I’m thankful for the blessing of a good education. I’m also very thankful for the privilege we have to be their parents, and I continue to pray for wisdom as we help them to navigate the public education world. And I pray we will be diligent as we continue teaching them at home at every opportunity, knowing they are learning from all we say and do – good or bad.

All in all, yesterday was a good day, and I’m grateful.



J and Drew as once again we catch J in mid-blink. And yes, that is Boo and me in the background.



M and Drew.



Must put the backpack in the new cubby!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm so glad they had a great first day at school. By the way, I always love seeing pictures of them! :-)

Lisa Spence said...

Only thirty minutes? On the first day of school? Girl, you got off EASY!

Thanks for sharing the pics!