Sunday, August 05, 2007

Baptizing Them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Our oldest son was baptized today. Before he was baptized, the pastor had J give a verbal confession of his faith in Christ before the church. This was a good day!

In the car on the way home this afternoon, J said that he has been looking forward to today for a long time. Then he said, “Today is the best day of my life.” He first professed faith in Christ after talking with us at home a couple of years ago, and we have been teaching him and talking to him and waiting for the Holy Spirit to lead him to take this next step of faith. A few weeks ago, while Drew was away with his Army duty, J kept asking me during a Sunday morning service when he could be baptized and I finally asked him why he thought he wanted to. He said that he wanted to say publicly that he believes in Jesus. I asked him to talk to me after church, but he seemed so sure and so wanting to go forward that morning that I finally told him that if he believed it is time then he should go forward and talk to the pastor at the end of the service, and I would walk up with him. We have been talking with him so much that I realized that if this was true conviction, I needed to encourage him to obey. He did! We waited until his daddy was home to have the baptism, and that was today. My mom and dad drove up from Florida, Drew's brother came from North Carolina and Drew's parents were there, too.

I am thrilled to see J take this important step of faith and express publicly his faith in Christ. I pray that we will continue to disciple him wisely and continue to faithfully lead M and R to Jesus as well. What a blessing today has been!

5 comments:

Lisa Hellier said...

Heaven rejoices at His sheep entering in! I rejoice with you, friend.

Heather said...

What a blessing! R and J were baptised by their Grandfather when H was a baby, and most of our family was there. It was so cool!

Congratulations to J!

Anonymous said...

Blessings, blessings all around.
Thanks for sharing this most beautiful occasion with us.
It's wonderful to see a young person understand what it means and desire it so.
Praise God!

Gojira said...

Blessings!!!!! That is soooooo GREAT!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that your families joined in this blessed event.