Thursday, August 30, 2007

Random Thursday Thoughts Which Are Admittedly Quite Shallow

I’m wondering if perhaps I am supposed to stop drinking sweet tea. Yesterday after our Bible study, I took Boo to Chick-fil-A for lunch. Our meeting is over at 11:30ish and we live about 20 minutes from the church. If I drive all the way home, Boo usually falls asleep in the car, meaning she doesn’t get lunch before nap, and that throws off her whole day. So, usually I try to stop somewhere and eat lunch so she can eat before falling into that realm of deep baby sleep from which it is hard for her to awaken.

Anyway, yesterday none of the other ladies could go with us, so it was just Boo and me at the ol’ Chick-A-fil (someone in my dorm used to call it that and it has stuck with me ever since). While trying to maneuver the high chair with wheels in which Boo was sitting, and which I couldn’t park at the table while I was ordering lunch up at the counter because that would be irresponsible parenting since I couldn’t have seen her while I stood in the lunch rush line, and my precariously balanced tray, I lost my hold of my oh-so-wanted cup of sweet iced tea. It made quite a spectacle flying off the tray and kersplatting on the floor. I put my tray down on a nearby table and wheeled Boo in her high chair back up to the counter and got someone’s attention to let them know I’d made a huge wet mess of their floor, and by then I was too frazzled to ask for another cup. I just did without and apologized again when someone came out to mop up my mess.

And today, just now, I decided I’d pour myself a nice glass of iced tea to finish off my lunch (yes, I actually made it sweet with sugar this time – I don’t always and usually settle for Sweet-N-Low). This time I can’t blame Boo or her high chair since she’s down peacefully for her nap at the moment. Nope, this time it was just clumsy ol’ me. Anyway, I dropped the pitcher, knocking over the glass, and sweet tea cascaded over the counter, down the front of the dishwasher and into the floor, soaking my grocery list in the widening puddle across the counter. Two days in a row of sweet tea mop-a-pa-looza. Oh, well, the floor needed to be mopped today, anyway.

And while I’m musing away my lunch time, here’s a conundrum that could only plague a home with a packrat or two in residence. Why is it that at any given time in our home you might be able to find ticket stubs for a movie we watched 10 years ago, a brochure from the World Trade Center Twin Towers my husband picked up when he visited there in 1979 (and which he informs me is now a piece of history and I should be glad he’s hoarded, um, kept it all these years), any number of rocks of various sizes, drum sticks from high school marching band days (his, not mine), Hubby’s high school graduation video, matches from any restaurant a certain someone in our house has ever visited, newspaper articles that we cannot figure out why they were kept in the first place, and so on, YET (and here’s where it gets interesting) since moving into this house we cannot find several videos that we really liked, including some of the original Star Wars movies (before the new ones came out) and, wait for it….pause……deep breath of anticipation…..our wedding video?!!!

I have this sinking suspicion that we must have had all those videos in a bag that some good, kind, helpful member of the family took to Goodwill on one of the many runs there in the early days of purging of junk when we first moved in here. We had noticed the missing movies a while ago, and just the other day the boys and I went to see the wedding of a girl who had babysat for us once in a while, so they wanted to see our wedding video when we came home. That was when I discovered it is no where to be found in this house. At least, not that I have been able to discover yet. I suppose this is as good a time as any to put into practice holding lightly to material things. So, since we’ve been able to lose that without calamity befalling us, do you think I could go empty out all the ticket stubs, newspaper articles and the like?

On a positive note, my mother-in-law did tell me that she has a copy of the wedding video, so at least it is not completely gone.

And now, while Boo is still peacefully napping, I’m off to chip away some more at the spare room and try to bring it under control again….armed with many garbage bags.

1 comment:

Heather said...

We've overcome SOME of certain person's packrat-sim...but it took me a while to forgive him (er, that person) for taping over parts of a child's birth video, LOL.

Have a great weekend.