Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Are We Really Surprised?

Saw this headline at FOX News today: Educational Videos May Not Make Baby Brainy, Study Finds.

No offense to anyone, but my first reaction was, "Well, duh!" I've always been suspicious of the idea that plopping my little baby in front of one of those videos would make them any smarter than good, old-fashioned interaction with Mom and Dad. People have tried to convince me how great they are since J was little, and I didn't buy into it. I'd rather not start the TV habit during babyhood, thank you very much. They tend to get hooked too young as it is, in my humble opinion. 'K. Rant over. Going on with my Wednesday now.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

I just have to comment on this. I completely agree! Have you ever watched one of these things? I have, and I think the only thing it could do for a baby is put it in a trance, which is not a good thing.

Rebekah said...

Yes. Someone gave us one when J was little, and I wasn't impressed. For honesty's sake, I probably should have mentioned in the post that I do have a Sesame Street video that R likes to dance to the music. She doesn't watch it very often, but once in a while I do let her. I'm not perfect on the no TV thing, but try to really limit it, because it's such an addictive habit and I just don't think it can be good for little ones to be in front of the TV all that much.

Lisa Bolling said...

You go girl! There isn't a video in exsistence that can replace the tried and true method of actually paying attention to your kids.
Keep up the great parenting - your kids are blessed to have such a thoughtful Mom.

Tracy said...

I have never for a second thought they would make a baby smarter...however (and we don't have tv...we have A tv, but no stations, it is only for an occasional video) when my youngest was little it was my first year home schooling and it was a guaranteed half hour of happiness while we got a few things done. He loved them...which made me love them. He hardly watches tv now...but I see where you're comming from!