Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Morning at Walmart(s)

We were planning to go to Walmarts (when in the south, talk like you’re southern) yesterday afternoon, but when the time came, Drew and I decided we just didn’t feel like dealing with Walmarts that afternoon. He decided he’d rather mow the yard in the 150+ degree weather and I decided I didn’t really want to cart Boo around our favorite (cough, cough) store by myself, so we decided to go out to breakfast today and run over to Walmarts right after breakfast when it would still be less crowded than it would have been yesterday afternoon. (Now that I live in this southern drawl state, I seem to be excelling in run-on sentences, as well. My high school writing teacher would be appalled.)

So, anyway, it turns out that it is providentially a good thing that we made that decision, for in the mail yesterday afternoon were the letters we have been anxiously awaiting from the boys’ teachers for next year with the list of school supplies. Sweet! Only one trip needed to Walmarts rather than two back to back! And, we are extremely pleased that M was placed with the teacher we requested and J is with the teacher he had last year who is looping up to third grade with her class, and who we absolutely love. So, back-to-school supply shopping is completed (too bad it is the weekend after tax free weekend, but we just won’t go there today), and I think I’m feeling less angst about back to school now that it is. There is something soothing about seeing packages of brand new pencils, new and better backpacks, new lunch boxes and notebook paper, crayons and markers. Ahhh. I think we’re ready, now.

And on that note, I’ll wish everyone a good weekend. Spend the Lord’s day with His people, worshipping His great Name together!

Oh, by the way, that reminds me. My husband is the Sunday School director at our church, and we are revamping our whole curriculum, from babies through adults. He has been having many meetings with the pastor as we wade into new territory and break away from strictly Lifeway stuff. We just ordered the Desiring God for children for preschool and elementary ages and are looking for what to do for the youth. Drew found this online. Has anyone used it? Do you know anything about it? Do you like it? Is it handled biblically accurately? We like the premise of a 6 year plan to teach youth the Bible more comprehensively than just as isolated stories and how our faith informs our life and actions. Please leave me a comment if you know anything about this curriculum. We are in the process of researching and would like some input. Thank you!

Okay, now enjoy the weekend!

7 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I've visited John Piper's church frequently (I live nearby and my best friend). As you might guess, the "Desiring God" curriculum is taught in the children's Sunday school classes.

I obviously have limited experience. But I can tell you my daughter left Sunday school our first visit there with ACTUAL MEMORIES of the Bible story they taught. She'd been in Sunday school every Sunday for two years previous, yet she could never tell me what was taught, what she learned or (especially) what it had to do with her life. I was impressed.

E-mail me if you want more. I don't have a ton of experience, but I'd be happy to be of help.

Rebekah said...

Hi, Kelly! Thank you for the personal testimony about the Desiring God stuff. We feel pretty confident it is good.

We're really wanting input on that Student Life Bible Study we found online for the middle school and youth. I wasn't real clear in the post, I think. We don't want to spend the money to order it if it isn't good, but if it is, we want to go ahead with it.

Yeah, coming away with "actual memories" about what they're taught in Sunday School is incredibly important, and that's what we're striving for! Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

I don't have any actual experience with the Student Life series, but it sounds like a great idea. Do they have any way you can preview the material before your church commits to purchasing it?

One of my favorite memories growing up was going school supply shopping! I am such a nerd. I always loved the start of school! What perfect timing that the lists arrived just before your big trip. ;)

Tracy said...

I love new school "stuff". We are going to WalMart tomorrow to shop and haden't gotten my oldest's list from the school. Gotta love that dad is one of the teachers and went in and got a list.

Our church has used the Desiring God for the younger kids but the other one you mentioned I haden't heard of.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I had to crack up that mowing the lawn in extreme heat won out over going to Walmart. I too...would rather do just about anything...than go to Walmart.

I'm not familiar at all with "Desiring God"...and reading your post struck a cord in my heart as well. Just this morning my dh and I were talking about the fact that our church does NOT have a Sunday school program. Oh how I long for Sunday school for children. :-(

Lisa Spence said...

Hey girl,
I think that is the curriculum our youth group just began using! I clicked over on the site, but didn't really have enough time to peruse it to know for sure (the flash player was taking too long to load). Anyway, they just changed curriculums and are now studying the Person of Jesus with a workbook with daily lessons. What I've seen of my son's workbook it looks really great. Let me know what y'all think and what you end up with.
Lisa

Mrs. H said...

yes, yes yes to Student Life Bible Study. That's what hubby uses for our Sun night Youth Worship, although it can be used for Sun. School or discipleship. It's great. Easy to access online, so if you have multiple teachers, there's no photocopying. Doctrinally speaking it's sound and walks them thru essential biblical truths.