Monday, August 06, 2007

It's Hot: A Monday Update

So, we did go to the park, and managed to stay for all of 20 minutes. Even with the breeze off the river, it’s just hot, hot, hot. The car thermometer said it was 100 degrees on the way home. We stopped at Sonic and got root-beer floats. That kind of heat just lends itself to an ice cream stop on the way home. And, apparently I do not have enough to do (ha, ha!) if I'm blogging about it. Actually, I'm avoiding cleaning up the supper dishes while the boys are taking showers. Guess I'd better make this quick.

The thermometer sensor we have out on the shed is reading 118 degrees on the reader we have in the house. That just can’t be right. I’m wondering exactly where on the shed my husband put that sensor, anyway. I suppose if it’s up on the black shingles directly in line of the afternoon sun it could register that kind of heat. Or, maybe that’s the heat index with our approximately 180 per cent humidity factored in? (Perhaps I exaggerate, but not much…..) Anyhow, the humidity is high enough that I might as well not have bothered with my hair and makeup this morning.

Life in the south. I’m grateful for AIR CONDITIONING!! Can you imagine living here and working here before that??? We’re so spoiled. So, I’m also grateful I live now and not then. For a lot of reasons. Okay, enough griping about the heat and the south and August in general. Oh, and I’m thankful for ice water – in it’s various forms, plain or tea – with buckets and buckets of ice. Must go rehydrate again…..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to brag but up here in Washington (state) it is a nice, cool 75!! One of the reason's we like it up here!

Stay cool!

Angela

Anonymous said...

What never fails to amaze me is that here in Florida we're often not more hot than the rest of the country. In fact, oft times cooler during the summer months due to proximity to the ocean - close enough on both sides of the state. We're an hour inland and still stay cooler than the land-locked states up north.
Nonetheless, it's humid here too and I thank God for air conditioning. We're spoiled indeed. Such a comfortable life. Too much so, I think at times.

Lisa Hellier said...

Yes, goodness it is hot! We are registering triple digits (heat index) this week as well. Our electric bill may be higher than the mortgage this month--perish the thought! Trying to keep our cool in GA.