Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Woman Who Fears the LORD

Proverbs 31:30
“Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.”


I want to be a woman who fears the LORD. I want my thoughts to be more and more on Christ, and less on the temporal, fleeting pleasures of the world. There is so much to distract us in our culture. Lisa wrote a good post the other day that really echoes some thoughts I’ve had rattling around in my mind for quite some time (and I truly hope she doesn't mind me linking to her again). I am in this world. But I am not to be of it. There are things in the world that I enjoy that are not specifically “Christian.” For example, I watch movies, though I’m pretty selective in what I’ll watch, because I do not need to be filling my mind with things that will damage my walk with the Lord or will make it harder to keep my mind pure and live a life that pleases Him. I know when something I’m watching is something that is not edifying, and I’ve learned to turn it off and walk away from those things that cause me to stumble. Not every book I read is a theological or “Christian” book. I like to read novels. Lots of them. Again, I’m fairly selective in the kinds of things I let my mind focus on, but no, not everything is written by Christian authors or even necessarily from a specifically Christian worldview. And not everyone might agree with my choices – these are matters of conscience, so I’m fairly quiet on those kinds of things on my blog. To be honest, much “Christian fiction” that I’ve read is just so badly written that I’d rather read a good “secular” book I’ve gotten from the library. But I am careful in my selections, too. When my heart is devoted to my Savior, I’m able to see moral and spiritual lessons even in books or movies where the author didn’t intend to be giving them. I learned that in school while reading assigned works. My worldview informs how I view everything I read and see and do – whether in work or in play – and I don’t have to pull out into a completely sanitized subculture, but I do find a need to be discerning.

I also don’t blog a whole lot about fads, TV shows, or even the books I’m reading. Not that I never write about such things or that I’m not interested in them or that I think it is wrong for people to write about them, but when I write, I’d rather write about the things that matter most to me, the things I think the most and the most deeply about. It isn’t that I’m trying to hide the more frivolous things, either. They just aren’t all that important to me. If I’m going to take the time to write things out, I’d rather they be more meaningful, for the most part. Though I do watch some TV and some movies and read quite a bit, I want the character of my life to be such that the things I think about the absolute most are the important things. I don’t think there is anything wrong with enjoying a good book or a TV show or a movie now and then, with the exercise of discernment in choosing such things, but the perspective must be that none of those things even come close in importance compared to worshiping the Lord. In light of that, all else is not very important at all.

I was convicted the other day while wasting too much time reading blog after blog that much of what I’m reading is just chatter. Even a lot of the Christian blogging is really just talk, talk, talk that ends up being wasted time. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the more lighthearted and fun part of the blog chatter in and of itself, but it can be wrong when I let it eat up too much of my day that ought to be spent doing more meaningful things. Though not all my blogging is serious, I’d like the bulk of my writing to be something more. I’m trying to determine what I want to accomplish with my blogging. I enjoy the "just for fun" stuff and the friendships that forges, and that is a good part of blogging as long as it doesn't eat up time I need to spend on my real life where I put feet and action to the words I think and type. But I have also learned a lot from having to think through many of my posts while writing them and searching the scriptures to clarify my thinking. I’ve also learned a great deal and been encouraged to think by other bloggers, though I have significantly lessened the time I spend reading them lately. I guess what I’m getting at here is that I don’t want the main part of my blogging to only be adding to the meaningless chatter, but I’d like a good deal of what I’m doing be to help myself to continue to grow in Christ and to be edifying to believers and thought-provoking to someone who may not yet know Christ, otherwise I’m really just wasting time and should just turn off the blog altogether.

So, I want the character of my life to be that I am seeking Christ’s kingdom first. I want the words I say and write to be the overflow of a heart that is devoted to Him. When my heart is longing to seek Him, that is what matters most. I even want my blogging to be an overflow of those thoughts I think most. Even when writing about everyday things, I want to there to be more love to Christ expressed in the daily walk of my life, not compartmentalizing my life into “Christian” and “secular” but letting a biblical, Christ-centered worldview be evident in all I do, even in the everyday stuff of life.

Also, in our culture it is so very tempting to get caught up in the outward appearance. Stand in the grocery store line and you’ll see tons of magazines and so much ink spilled to waste time on the latest celebrity gossip or the latest fad to seek after that fleeting thing called “beauty.” More empty chatter – pages and pages of meaningless chatter. But so much of what the culture sees as beautiful is false. Nip and tuck plastic beauty, diet fads that are not healthy, make-up tips, immodest clothing, expensive showplace homes, fancy cars, boats and toys, and celebrity are offered up as the end-all-be-all of the American dream existence. And too much time spent perusing that empty chatter can skew a woman’s perspective on true beauty. But those celebrities don’t seem very happy to me. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone home and cried for them over the emptiness that they seem to mask behind their plastic smiles. So many of the “beautiful people” are so terribly lost. They have “arrived” with wealth and fame and beauty, but they live broken, empty lives that they try to fill with all kinds of activities, relationships, babies, stuff, charities and vices. And that is the lie women buy into. They need a Savior, not the next article on how to spice up a boring life.

Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain. It is all emptiness if all we seek is the approval of the world and outward, skin-deep beauty. True beauty is reflected in the character of a woman who fears the LORD and walks humbly with her God. I heard someone say that if you want to be a godly older woman, you start investing in that lifestyle now. You begin to live godly now. You don’t just wake up one day as that woman, it comes from walking daily with the LORD. I want to be a woman who fears the LORD. I want to be a woman who will bring that hope to others who need to know Jesus. That is a life that has meaning. A life that seeks His kingdom first. I want to be different from all the chatter. I don’t want my life to be characterized by the latest fad or spin my wheels seeking after earthly, fleeting, temporal things. I want to be content and satisfied in the joy of serving the King, Jesus, my Redeemer, Savior, and Lord.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I read Lisa's post yesterday, too, and I've been thinking more about a lot of what you mention in this post. I think it would make for some really interesting blogging as we write about our pursuits and struggles to be women conformed to His image.

Lisa Hellier said...

I've also had to consider where the computer time goes. I find myself choosing to first read the blogs that require a studied and thoughtful response because the writing edifies and challenges me. Leftover time is then given to the more "people" magazine type blogs.

Even more than that, having to ask the question for every hour I would spend on entertaining myself with whatever, am I equally as willing to spend the same amount of time in God's Word? And that's when my toes hurt.

Seeking with you, Rebekah to be a woman who rightly fears the Lord.

Gojira said...

Excellent post! You done tole it like it is!

Anonymous said...

Rebekah,
(By the way, I love the spelling of your name - with a k rather than the more usual cc).
I find so much of this post with which I agree, but don't have time for a lengthier comment.
I do want to share this with you, because I engage in a mental tsk, tsk or condemnation of celebrities when I hear or read about their amoral lives. But when I read the following in an AARP magazine my mom gave me, I cut it out and put it on my frig. You may appreciate it too:

"TIRED OF RANTING
I felt so disappointed reading January's 'Inside Look.' The author writes about Oprah Winfrey and her incorrect spin on the gospel. Clearly, his facts are correct. Sadly, many celebrities are living amoral lives, don't embrace the gospel, and are terrible role models.
But here's the problem as I see it. Unsaved people are going to behave and speak and believe like unsaved people. I've heard ranting from many pulpits and in plenty of Christian magazines about unsaved celebrities, their conduct, and their beliefs. Absolutely, pastors and leaders must decry what goes against God's Word. But just as important, they need to communicate the broken heart of God in these matters. Remember when Jesus wept over Jerusalem? His heart was totally broken for His people's blindness and sin and lostness.
Sure, the sewer our society has become is sickening. But I think we need to check our attitudes to see if our hearts break like God's does for people He wants in His kingdom. If I'm unwilling to spend as much time in prayer for these celebrities as I am criticizing their behavior, I've got some repenting of my own to do.
- Judith Gillis, Arkansas"

Wendy said...

What a great post! I agree w/so much of what you said. I have been feeling the same way lately about wasting time. I want to make good choices in what I spend my time on.

swbbm.blogspot

Rebekah said...

Leslie, that would be incredibly interesting blogging, indeed!

Elle, yes, that makes my toes hurt too!

Thank you, Gojira, just thinking out loud here.

Hi, Susan! So true. I didn't mean to imply I was ranting against the celebrities (or fluff blogging, either, for that matter - people can write about whatever they want on their blogs - I'm just pretty sure I need to not waste as much time on the computer as I have recently).

We really shouldn't be surprised when unsaved people act like unsaved people. They are in bondage to sin, how else would they act? One day when standing in line at Walmart it really struck me how very sad it is that so many women envy the stars on the magazine covers and wish they had what they think those stars have, but it's all emptiness. I went home and cried and prayed for the particular people whose private agonies were being so publicly written about and displayed on the magazines. I've never looked at those headlines the same again. I used to do the tsk, tsk thing, too, until I started thinking about how behind that public smile is a broken, lost heart in need of a Savior. Now, more often than not, I pray for them. And when I realized how many people are deceived into thinking that the next best fad will bring them the elusive happiness they seek, when Jesus is really the only One who can set them free from the bondage of sin, which is their true need.

Hi, Wendy, I think most of us struggle with that. I enjoy blogging and reading blogs, but I've really got to reign in how much time I spend on it. It's a balance!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebekah -
I didn't mean to imply that you were implying anything either.
:-)
I just wanted to share that interesting thing with you.
I find myself saying a prayer for certain celebrities from time to time as well, although I don't spend much time thinking about that stuff, frankly.
Like you, I find time too limited for things I don't need in my life.
Incidentally, when we got a new computer this past January, as I was setting it up, I was prompted to give the computer a name. I chose "for His glory."
Sometimes, if I step away from it for too long, I come back to find the screen offers me a selection:
"Turn off 'for His glory'"
:-)

Rebekah said...

Hi, Susan,
I knew you were just sharing, but the quote did get me thinking again. :^)

That's funny about your computer! What an interesting reminder that all we do should be for His glory - even computer time.

Kim said...

This is a great post, Rebekah!

Kim

Karen B. said...

I'm curious. What Christian fiction have you read lately?

Lisa Spence said...

Do I mind? Are you kidding me? I am humbled to be sure, and sometimes surprised that someone would consider my thoughts link worthy, but I do not mind! :-)

I think you know that we share a similar desire to reflect Jesus in every single part of our lives--the serious and the fun too--showing Him extraordinary even in and especially in the common and the everyday.

Great post...

Musings of a Housewife said...

Here from Everyday Mommy. I struggle with this on my blog. I have felt at times guilty that mine is often such idle chatter. But the times when I write more serious posts sap so much time and energy from my real life that I've decided I just can't do that kind of post every day. So I find myself resorting to a lot of idle chatter, b/c those posts just flow and don't steal the time I should be spending with the people I love the most.

But I really value the more meaningful and well-thought out posts from some of the wonderful Christian ladies around our little corner of the blog world.

And I definitely agree that we need to think seriously about the amount of time we spend reading the idle chatter. Lately I've been forcing myself to click "mark all read" in my Bloglines even when I haven't made all the rounds b/c I know I need to get up and do something more productive.

Great food for thought! Thanks!!

Kimberly said...

Thank you so much for this post. There are several blogs that I read that I have been blessed by tremendously in the past, that have recently become, as you said, chatter. Don't get me wrong. They are not under any obligation to feed me spiritually, but it has made me feel self-conscious about being "too spiritual" when I blog (I'm not proud of this). Your post has reminded me why I started my little blog, and it was definitely to glorify God and in some small way further His Kingdom, so I am going to stop feeling self-concious. Thanks, Rebekah!

Anonymous said...

While you have a point, I would be hesitant to eschew all "idle chatter" on my blog for only "meaningful" posts. Sometimes the fun, simple laughter of an idle story is the very thing that draws people to a blog, allowing for deeper conversations. There are a lot of scarred and mistreated folks out there who need to know that Christians can be human, too, before they can talk to us. Sometimes the lighthearted, idle chatter is precisely the thing that persuades somebody that I am worth listening to on the meaningful parts of life.

Rebekah said...

Hi, Veronica:

Oh, I agree with you that not every post has to be deep and meaningful. I really didn't mean to be implying that, though I see how my post reads that way.

I suppose I should clarify what I meant by "idle chatter." I enjoy fun stories, too. I love when I can share about something funny the kids have done or pictures or just fun things about life in general, and I like reading that from some of my favorite bloggers. I wasn't thinking about those kinds of things when I wrote this post. I was more getting at the fact that I don't want to waste time on too much chatter about TV, movies, pop culture - those kinds of "idle chatter," at the expense of the more meaningful stuff, if that makes sense. I don't care if other people want to write about all that, it doesn't bother me a bit - as Kimberly said, other blogs are under no obligation to feed me spiritually, but I found that I was wasting too much of my day reading it all.

If all I ever write is the deep stuff, then I do burn out, because those more thoughtful posts take a whole lot of energy, and I don't want to give the impression that I am hyper-spiritual and never think lighter thoughts. That would be false a impression of who I am. But if all I write about is pop culture stuff, then I'm not talking about what really matters to me. There can be a happy balance of deeper and lighter material. I want more and more of even the every day and fun things to be different from the world's idea of what matters most.

My real issue here was not to try to judge other bloggers or say all blogs somehow need to conform to how I want mine to be. It was more personal for me - I need to be spending much less time skimming from blog to blog and less time wading through discussions when I have more pressing things to be doing in real life. I can easily spend hours reading all this, and I realized that, for me, this was becoming sin. It may not be for anyone else, but it was for me because I was spending too much time at it.

I don't know if that clarifies my point or makes it muddier, but, I do agree that there is nothing wrong with fun posts, I just want the character of even my fun posts to reflect Christ.