Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thankful for Nature

When it’s outside, that is. Not so much when critters decide to come into my living space. I just went out to the garage to get a V8 from the refrigerator we keep out there for stocking sodas and V8s. In the corner, M had set up his “table tent” – it’s a fabric cover someone made for him that fits over a square card table and reaches to the floor on all sides. As I looked up after opening the door to walk into the garage, something with a tail slinked (slunk?) past that table tent. I don’t know what it was. I only saw movement and a brownish something tail-like before I bolted back to the door. Then I cautiously walked back past the van and peeked around the table tent. Nothing there. I think whatever it is was scratching around under the tent. I can’t be sure. I quickly got my V8 while never taking my eyes off that table tent area and went back in the house and called my husband and told him he’ll need to inspect the garage when he gets home. Ewwww. I believe I’ve mentioned before how much I don’t like squishy critter things. Well, I’m not really all that thrilled with furry or feathery things in my garage, either. The outer door is open and I’m hoping our little visitor will take my not-so-subtle invitation to just leave on its own accord.

But, I do like to see birds and furry critters and whatnot outside. I think the world God created is wonderful. That’s another story. I just don’t want to have to make close acquaintance with them, you understand. Nature at a distance is what I’m thinking. Actually, nature without rodents, spiders, and squishy things in the near vicinity would be okay. I once saw a bird in the backyard that looked like it might have been hurt. I really wanted to help it and went and got a towel and was going to try to pick it up and move it so the cats in the neighbors’ yard wouldn’t get to it. I got right up to the bird and found that I could not pick it up. My arms and legs would not go any closer. I just couldn’t physically make myself do it. I’m a nature/wildlife wimp. I don’t know what happened to that little bird. I really hope it was okay. And I really hope our current little garage visitor, whatever it is, will just move on along and be okay outside, too. Needless to say, we don’t do much camping in our family….

No comments: